1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print cost??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Robert J., Jan 25, 2016.

1. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Has anyone used a electricity useage monitor to calculate the actual power cost per Hr. I know that this will vary with the heated bed settings, but a ball park on pla or abs ??

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've heard it's something like an estimated 3¢-7¢/hour using the robo. I always put in 25¢/hour when figuring price as I don't actually know... But 12vdc isn't much

3. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

No way, were doing a video on cost this week. Been using the printer with PLA for about 2 weeks approximately 5 hours a day and only used 12.64 kWh. At 12c/kWh as the Average the printer has cost us about $1.52 in electricity.

4. woferry

woferry Member

I hadn't bothered to figure cost, but I did plug it into my Kill-A-Watt when I first got it. Mine idles around 14W when not printing anything, and cycles between ~60W and ~180W when printing, the deltas being the printer's maintaining of the bed temperature (I see the ~120W jump the moment the startup code starts the bed heating, the hexagon hotend didn't draw nearly as much to keep hot, of course it's a much smaller area being heated there even though it's hotter). So a few hours of printing racked up one kWh pretty easily. I previously averaged around 11kWh a day, so this printer will likely cause a noticeable blip in my power bill. :)

I wish I was only paying 12c/kWh, my latest bill starts at 16.7c and goes up from there as the usage increases, so the extra cost of the Robo will be more like 20c/kWh, and worse if it happens to push me into the next tier.

5. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

that's great i will be looking forward to seeing it i love your YouTube page.