1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Print Getting Off Center After Each Layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Josh Gauthier, Oct 14, 2015.

1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

One other thing to check is that the belt itself is actually tight.

I tightened both my X & Y belts last night until they thrummed like tight bass strings when flicked and my "drifting" appeared to be fixed (now to just fix the extruder stripping out on the filament while printing).

2. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member

Thanks so much for the help everyone.

I've checked my belt - I can't really get it any tighter.

I'm having issues with the screws I need the allen wrench for - the one for the Y axis is set below the black part on the bottom, so I can't really get the wrench in there very well. When I do seem to get the wrench in place, it feels tight when I try to turn it. For what it is worth, I tried to remove them, but didn't seem to make any leadway going that direction either. I'm going to look at how my other Robo3d is set up (it is at a different school) and see if I'm missing a piece or something like that.

I'll keep you posted one way or another.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Enable the stepper motors so they're locked in place, then try and twist/pull the pulley if it seems to move independently it's not tight enough.

If it's loose you can probably pull it up some and get access to the set screws

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The one for the Y may require that you either dismount the Y motor or remove the black deck.
    If you can get an allen in there without that it would be far easier.

Both of the other alternatives are a lot more work.

5. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member

Thanks Mark and Mike! I found the g-code to enable to stepper motors - I couldn't pull up the y-motor at all. So I think my next step is to take off the black piece.

In a test, I noticed a loud grinding noise the preceded the "shift" - not sure if that confirms your suspicions or not.

We'll keep on it!

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, the grinding noise might be the belt skipping when the robo is trying to drive the Y or X Axis to an endstop.
    This can happen if something is blocking the X axis or Y axis from reaching the endstop.

7. Josh Gauthier

Josh Gauthier New Member

Hmm...I really don't see anything obvious...for what it's worth, I do recall there being some grinding when I first started using the printer, but it wasn't causing it to slip. That little anecdote probably isn't very helpful, just trying to see if anything obvious is the problem.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can manually slide the bed full stop both ways and make sure it easily goes (and that the endstop is engaged).
    Same thing for the X axis. If something is blocking you should notice it getting stuck or hard to move.