1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print head too far from bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by the_antics, Feb 15, 2015.

1. John Randall

John Randall New Member

I use a line level to check my alignments.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I bought them from amazon, but since the bed is glass I'm actually using a solenoid driven probe

3. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

Yes after a little poking around I found the link to the installation of the solenoid. I use glass as well. I'm not so happy with the two micro-switches on the threaded rods. One twists enough that it has to introduce back lash in the motion. I printed a little clamp that holds it fairly well. Anyway I like the idea of the solenoid. I have one ordered, I may mount it differently than you. Thanks

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Using the extruder as the probe is a rather novel (cheap) approach. Even the Marlin firmware folks had some issues dealing with that.

5. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

The solenoid looks simpler than the servo motor approach. I have the mounting bracket made for a servo and I do have one but just seems the solenoid approach would be less likely get damaged.
    Can you explain how the micro-switch works with the solenoid. I downloaded your code, I guess I should have a look to understand how it works. Thanks guys. I will let you know how it works.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The micro switch is wired to the normally open legs of the switch, so when the probe activates it creates a closed circuit. When the nozzle touches the bed it moves a bit then the switch releases and the controller sees an open circuit and home is detected.

The reason it's wired like this is that in the event the probe does not trigger the switch properly it won't drive the nozzle into the bed.

7. James Cullins

James Cullins New Member

OK thanks Mike ,that makes sense. I got notice mine has shipped.