1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print is shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by link4044, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. link4044

link4044 Member

I was wondering what's causing the prints to shift like this
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. William Muraski

could be a number of things that cause that, X-axis belt tension to loose and it jumped a tooth on the drive pully, error due to high print speed and a unsupported Z-Axis, cable interference/binding causing X-Axis to jump out of position after it was homed, to much tension/drag on the filament pulling the print head out of alignment till it was relieved to mention a few but not all the reasons.

can you describe your printer and how it's setup in more detail including any mods
    what is the material your printing with, what temps, what speeds and feeds are being used
    does the error repeat if you print it again
    is this the first time it has happened with a print this tall
    does it happen on prints that are not as tall, how tall is that (just a guess but looks to be between 4 - 5.5 inches)
    where does your filament spool sit in relation to the printer (on the side, top, from behind... )

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell without a better photo but it is a strange shift in that it is very gradual. It looks like a slope and it takes place over a number of layers. Can you give a better photo or describe it? Usually a stepper skip due to belt tension or something else is a sharp discontinuity. (Someone please correct me if they have seen otherwise.)

What are the extra curls of filament on both sides of the object?

4. link4044

link4044 Member

Thanks guys. I'll take a pic of my filement set up (it's on top) tonight.

The extra curls on the side are the support for a over hang

5. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If filament drag is the problem then it would be kind of obvious. You would be surprised at how much force the X axis can pull on the filament with. I have a side mount holder of my own design with a simple guide and there is some resistance but the X stepper has no problem with it. The real problem would be if the filament is unspooling enough for a loop to come off the reel and kink around the holder. This can happen if the holder is too free moving for example I found that a spool on ball bearings is a bad idea.

6. Bjorn

Bjorn Member

I had a similar problem,

It shifted on the X axis, and all of a sudden it shifted back again.

I found out it was the Cold/Hotend that is held by the 2 screws in the extruder was not secure enough..

7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

If the bearings are of center, as in the spool holder diameter is smaller than the spool's center hole, it won't unspool because the spool's center of gravity is lower than the bearings.

8. link4044

link4044 Member

Here's one photo of my set up and the same print but I layed it down to print it

I'll check out the two screws

Attached Files:

9. William Muraski

10. link4044

link4044 Member

I checked the screws on the hot end and they were loose.
    That seemed that was the problem. The next prints came out better.

Thanks for the tips and help guys. Got lot my info to use in the future if something else fails

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It doesn't take much does it? A little bit of unexpected motion in a given axis is always bad.
    They have gotten better. SOP for the first year or more was tear it down and tighten everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.