1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print jobs stopping.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kingbob, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

So today my printer started to play up.

I printed 2 small parts for something I'm making successfully, but when i tried to print the 3rd part, it got maybe 1/4 done, and the printer just stopped. MatterControl was still running, and i was able to cancel the job, but after cancelling, couldn't manually control movement in any axis, even after clicking unlock.

Closed Mattercontrol, power cycled the printer, and reconnected, and could move the axes, so restarted the print. This time it failed after several layers. So i thought maybe its the model, so i rechecked it all, ran the stl through netfabb, and all was fine. Printed again, and it failed after a few layers.

retried a few times. and seemingly get less printed every time, eventually halting while drawing the perimeter. So i tried a different model, similar result. I also did a pc reboot somewhere here as well.

I then saw there was an update to Mattercontrol, (V1.1.2, i was on V1.1.1), I also did a firmware update.

Before reprinting, i had a look around for a log, and noticed I could open a terminal session from within Mattercontrol to see what was going on.

So I drew a new model in Sketchup, exported to stl, checked the stl in netfabb, and all looked fine. Hit print, and again it failed while drawing a perimeter around the part.

I did however see in the terminal window that the printer was reporting an error, but it scrolled past so fast I couldn't see what caused it. It did however say to correct the error, then manually do an "m999" command to resume. The M999 did let me control the printer again, but the print still failed.
    Retried a couple of times with the same result.

I've checked all axes move freely, filament is feeding, everything that should be hot, is hot, and Windows never loses connection (the Mega board stays listed in device manager).

At the moment the whole thing is off, letting it all cool down, thinking maybe its some sort of thermal issue with the RAMPS board or power supply, but thats just a stab in the dark.

Suggestions?

Thanks

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I could venture a guess that there may be an issue on reading the temp of the extruder correctly if it gets too hot or too cold it will just shut down and that M999 can be seen in the log but we really need to see more of the log.

A simple short from a loose wire that can occur when the axis moves can cause a misread on the extruder temp and shut things down

Try the same print in repetier and see if you can capture log information

3. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

The problem with the log is that you cant scroll back, nor capture or export it. And as soon as the error occurs, its just flies past with line after line of "error" etc.
    I'll double check the wiring in the morning, on all steppers, switches, bed, extruder etc. I havent moved the printer at all, but i did have the bed out a couple of times to apply new tape.

And actually now you mention the temp, that reminds me i need to re-do the maxtemp fix to allow for the e3d extruder since i did the firmware upgrade this afternoon.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You could try enlarging the window from its defualt and as if the M999 scrolls do an emergency stop to stop the data you may capture it that way or at least be able to view it

5. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Tried that, its scrolled past before i can do anything.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

If you can't get MC to do it correctly I would definitely give repetier a shot I like it alot better the MC things are not as automated in repetier but that also allows for more flexibility when using it

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

oops forgot its log window is always open and it is scrollable you will have to do a couple of additional thing to get autoleveling to work but you are not even at that point yet you need to findout why the M999 is being issued.

once that is resolved we can show you how to get it fully printing with the autolevel stuff operating

8. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Cant see any issues with wiring, checked in Mattercontrol and had the same problem.
    Downloaded Repetier, and set it up, heating now. But i cant see a log window anywhere.

9. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I turned on the "Filter output" option in the MatterControl terminal and managed to catch the error.

"Error: Extruder switched off. temperature fell too much during print."

Despite MC reporting that the head was at 230C at the time. I'm going to pull the extruder out, dismantle the head, clean it all, re-seat and re-kapton the thermister. See if that makes a difference. I'm using an e3d V5, maybe theres a break in one of the thermocouple leads that normally makes contact, but when heated, expands and breaks the contact. Maybe. Will see what a rebuild does.

10. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Well, not sure if the thermistor lead was the culprit, but it did break very easily when removing the kapton tape. Will have to order a new one, and wait a couple of weeks to see if that fixes the issue. I might order a V6 block while i'm at it to make it easier to secure.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can get multiple thermistors (I did) just to have spares.
    Heck at this point I have a couple of everything just some one part getting taken out won't stall me from printing too long.

Does sound like a bad thermistor was the culprit.

12. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Yeah i ordered 3, and a spare heater cartridge. Was going to order a whole V6 too, but out of stock :(

2 people like this.
  13. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

OK so my thermistors finally arrived!
    Wired it in and replaced the extruder. Fired up Mattercontrol.... and it just sits there "connecting". Windows can clearly see that theres an Arduino Mega 2560 on COM3, it appears and disappears if i unplug the printer, but MC just refuses to talk to it. I removed the printer from the printer selection in MC, re-added it, including adding the driver that it wants to install, but it just sits there trying to connect and not going anywhere.

Interestingly, i have found that removing/re-adding the printer in MC changes the device from a mega 2560, to a Teensy usb. wtf?

I then manually changed the driver to the one included with the Arduino dev software.

Suggestions?

I havent moved the printer, checked all the cabling underneath, all seems in place, and have rebooted/reconnected etc.

Help???

14. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Some more info...
    After looking through other threads on here, specifically this one:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/6-commands-waiting-e3d.2690/#post-21239

I downloaded the Auto Level series 6 that Mike Kelly posted, and then grabbed the arduino.inf file he posted in this thread:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/matter-control-issues.2515/page-2

Fired up the arduino software, quickly changed the configuration.h to reflect my thermistor, and changed the max temp for the e3d head.
    Went to upload, and i get this:
    Binary sketch size: 129,720 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
    avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

One thing i noticed in the configuration.h file was the baudrate set to 250000. Checked the com port its on, and thats only set to 9600. And in fact only goes up to 128000.

15. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I fired up Repetier, set the speed to 9600 for the printer connection, and it says its connected, but i have no axis control.

16. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Your com speed has to match the com speed setting in the firmware. That is the speed at which it communicates. If you want to use a different com speed you need to change it in the configuration.h file and reflash. 9600 is probably going to be too slow.

17. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

Except that as i mentioned above, I couldnt flash it with a new config.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure your baud rate is set to 250000 (unless you managed to reflash it as @warlocke mentioned)

That is what the printer talks at.

19. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

I'll try it in a different USB port when i get home, the one its in only does up to 128000, and i do recall swapping cables around so that might be the reason.

#19 Kingbob, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  20. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

OK, just moved it back to its original USB port, and no go.

Tried it in USB2, and USB3 ports, neither will do 250000. Even double checked my motherboards drivers to make sure usb 3 drivers were installed.

Also tried it on my laptop, again, the com port doesnt go up to 250000, maxes out at 128000. Again tried usb2 and 3 ports, and even different cables.

Suggestions?

#20 Kingbob, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.