1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved print problem???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert J., Jan 11, 2016.

1. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I have a R1 that i picked up used and have a problem. my biggest problem is that i can print for about 8-12 layers (on a large print) and the printer seams like it stops travailing on the z axis or even goes the other way and grind's the print head into the print and destroys itself. I have used mattercontrol, cura, and i even dropped the big one and purchased simplify3d (well worth it for what i see). no mater what software i use same problem. the next thing is the extruder some times looks like it is under extruding and other times it looks like it is over extruding. i don't know its a bit frustrating. Is it possible to have a bad firmware (ROBO3DR1V3) or bad board??
    I have a lot of upgrades i want to do but it is difficult to print basic parts with out problems is a problem so please help any thoughts

Robo 3d R1 w/ xxl lcd, e3d v6

2. Sloan32

Sloan32 Member

Hmmm how long have you had your printer?

3. Sloan32

Sloan32 Member

Maybe you need a new firmware update. Go to robe's main page and check out if you need a firmware update.

4. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I have had the printer about a month, and 3d printing for about a year

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

you bought it used, so have you gone through and tightened things up, make sure all connections are secure, and lubed the threaded rods? The over/under extrusion, have you checked the hobbed bolt and the tension? May need to calibrate extruder or might have a bad bolt. For it not moving the z correctly, what type of threaded rods do you have? Not sure how old this used printer is. Just making sure you have the correct firmware since I think there are 3 types of threaded rods out there. Do you hear grinding while printing?

Update: On extraction issues, probably not this, but make sure to check for any kind of clog starting. I have cleaning filament that I use from time to time to keep things cleaned out.

Also, I wonder if the stepper motors are getting a hot for the Z.

#5 danzca6, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. Sloan32

Sloan32 Member

I don't think it would be the motors getting hot because he said it was only the 20th layer but anything is possible.

7. danzca6

yeah and the Z motors don't work that hard really compared to the other 3. Just brainstorming.

8. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I ordered the z axis upgrade screws and motors last night. I just hope I can print the adapters. The hobbed bolt is stock is there a better options?

#8 Robert J., Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  9. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

This is the curent z rods.

Attached Files:

10. danzca6

What adapters are you referring to fit the z upgrade? Did you order the z upgrade from Robo?

As far as the bolt goes. It works pretty well as long as the teeth aren't stripped out and the two tension bolts are adjusted properly.

11. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I ordered my upgraded rods from amazon, from what I found all the links that people have posted for the robo upgrade don't work. If robo has a direct upgrade I would order it.

12. Sonny's Robo3D

13. danzca6

My two cents on the brackets. Your current end stop brackets will work just fine. Seems to me that from working with some folks that have the new brackets that they could cause some hanging while executing the auto level sequence. I had that issue and it would do a stair climb instead of lowering to the bed. So don't worry about the new brackets. I bought my kit from Robo. You can save a couple bucks from amazon, just make sure the rod are straight when you get them. Did you get the TR8*8 or the TR8*4 threaded rods? Makes a difference when changing the firmware.

14. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Ok so i ordered the kit from Robo. really i never looked for it under parts, i had seen links in post's and i clicked and it gave me a 404 massage so i figured that they took them down. so anyway i have the right ones on the way and hopefully that will help. thanks for the help i will let you know the outcome.

15. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Ok so i have installed the new lead screw and motor upgrade from Robo, and it solved nothing small simple parts work ok but past that its a big failure. im not sure but im almost leading to a electrical problem. I got the XXL LCD for Christmas and have yet to be able to print the mounting parts for it because they continue to fail, is it possible that the ramps are bad or overheating causing the z axis not to clime properly. Im about to give up and sell this thing, I need help please.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So are the failures the same?

Or is anything different? Only the Z is affected?

If those are still the symptoms then really there are limited # of possible issues. Let's list them all (the printer is NOT that complicated so the potential issues list is not huge). First note that I asterisked the two symptoms * and ** (actually ** is really part of * most likely so we will ignore the difference)

1) Bad USB cable (loosing communications from the computer).
    2) Something is binding the Z axis (but it would need to bind BOTH motors or you would see it go to a lean on the Z)
    3) Bad Stepper driver--or possibly mistuned.
    4) Bad RAMPS
    5) Bad Arduino

Those are in increasing order of UNLIKELY :) So start with #1 (most likely)
    You can print from the SD card and totally eliminate the USB cable so that is an easy test. Slice your model, put the GCode file on the SD card, load in into the print and launch it from the LCD controller or software on the PC (you don't need the mounts to attach and use the LCD--it just won't be pretty while you do it)

17. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

1) I have had this problem with both USB and SD. (tested FAILED )
    2) Motors work great (brand new upgrade ) and every thing looks great. I tryed to print the XXL LCD face plate this afternoon and it is .83mm thick and probly should be 5-6 layers thick at the time i shut it down becaus the nozzel was digging into the print. as i am typing this i have 60mm fan bracket i am printing for my ramps (trying anything at this time) and im about about 25mm tall now and the z banding is spot on, so far i have what looks to be to random layers of over extruding but it is printing nicely. this bing a literaly a problem on larger prints is what is throwing me off
    3) 4) 5) I have not tested nor do i know how to at this time. If Robo had them in stock i would probably just order them.

this is was fun hobby and i was bummed out win my makerbot crashed, i was so excited to get this Robo and know i really want to light it on fire lol

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What firmware do you have loaded and what are the Z Steps/mm configured for?
    If you didn't get the correct version for the leadscrew upgrade then that will cause your exact symptoms (or something very prints of any size will fail). Good sanity check.

#18 mark tomlinson, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  19. Sloan32

Sloan32 Member

Maybe this video will define your problem better and help you fix it. It deals with things overheating mid print. Link

20. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I have the ROBOR1PLUSV1 firmware installed, as for the Z steps/mm im not sure where to find all of that. this last week is the first time i have ever looked at a firmware file.
    A update i did get the fan mounts printed (6th print i had two that were usable) and installed and i have made to small prints and they were amazing looking so i am about to start a larger print that i have had many failures on and see what happens. wish me luck lol