1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered print problems first layers are good

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert J., Dec 28, 2015.

1. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Ok i am new to the Robo3d and am having lots of problems with warping and what ever you would call this happening in the photo. Photo first layers (raft at least 2-3 layers in ) stick great and then that. This is ABS so i am printing at 95c and 235c. I have tried several different bed temps and almost every time this is the results. If i don't need supports my prints are getting better but if i need supports i need a raft for them to stick. if i print with out a raft and supports the end of my supports curl up makeing more problems. background i started off with a old makerbot printing abs great 110bed temps and kapton tap and had lots of success tell the boards fried. so i got a Robo 3d and hear i am please help.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The curling is part and parcel of ABS. That said you should be able to do better :)
    If you are using anything other than Simplify3D you are better off not using supports.
    Design your models to avoid them.

The fact that you need a raft implies that your first layer is not quite where it needs to be.
    This is an example of a correct first layer:

http://printedsolid.com/firstlayer

If yours does not look like that then you still have some adjustments to make.

Start with something simple. Attached is a single layer print (it only has the first layer) and use it for testing.

Print it and if the first layer is not correct adjust your Z offset a little bit (higher or lower) and then try again until you nail it.
    That is then the Z offset you need to always use.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  3. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

so i switched back to pla and tried to reprint the part. i did the download the circle you posted and every thing was great nice and even thickness. but the pictures tell the story of the print i think. it was great for the first 30min and i step ed out and returned about 30min later to find this.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So exactly which printer do you have and which firmware is loaded?
    If you have the wrong flavor in stalled the Z steps/mm will be wrong and while it will start out fine, it will destroy itself as it progresses since the layers will collide.

There is :

The BETA (with and without leadscrew upgrade)
    The R1 (with and without leadscrew upgrade)
    The R1+

And at least 3 different flavors of firmware.
    With the leadscrew upgrade they should all be using the same one (the R1+ version essentially).

5. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

So i was told it was a R1+ but i don't think it is, there is a sticker in side the cover that says "R1 14 04" so i'm amusing that is the manufacturer date. MC shows firmware as ROBO3DR1V3

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

[QUOTE="Robert J., post: 64329, member: 10238"MC shows firmware as ROBO3DR1V3[/QUOTE]

That is not the R1+ firmware. I have no way to know if it is the R1+ without looking at the leadscrews.
    Sometimes the wrong firmware ends up installed.

Do the Z rods have a connector/coupler at the base where they are attached to the stepper motors or do the rods come straight up out of the motor?

Take a picture of one if you can.

7. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

this is my z rod set up

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep.
    20151229_141056.jpg

shows it is an R1, not an R1+

So ROBO3DR1V3 is fine for the firmware.

9. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

So what should i be looking at from this point. Is it possibly the Matter controls program. I have tried cura but i cant find a z offset and i need about .5mm

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member