1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Print quality issues with E3D v6 and Titan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK, just installed a Titan extruder with a new E3D v6 and here is my second print. Both prints have great first layers, but all layers afterwards look very, very rough. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? I use Simplify 3D and this model was a 0.2 layer height, 35% infill, and five lower layers. PLA at 205 degrees and I'm using an oiler right now to season the nozzle. IMG_2325.jpg

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you calibrate your extruder steps? That might help, but there might be something else looking at that print.

3. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

No, I haven't done that. Is that the process where you measure like 110 or 120mm of filament, print 100mm, the measure the difference? I just printed off an article that explains the process and the steps to adjust accordingly. I haven't done the PID auto-tune either. I haven't tried printing this same model in MatterControl yet, so I think I will do that just to rule out S3D.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly.

5. danzca6

That is correct. Here's a great video to walk you through it if needed. A PID tune might be good as well with the new hotend. Tom also has a video on that.

6. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK thanks, guys! I will do both ASAP and see if it makes a difference. BTW, I tried the model in MatterControl and got same result. Looks like it only affects non-solid layers, but I may be wrong.

7. danzca6

Yeah so not a slicer issue. Another thing to make sure is that the hotend is secured with no wobble. I don't know what mount you are using, but that might be a possability.

8. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Well, when you guys are right, you are right! Ran PID first just to get that in order and then the extrusion steps. The extrusion amount was supposed to be 100mm, but was 168mm!!! EEPROM setting was 723.98, so I divided 100 by 168, giving me .59523810, which multiplied by 723.98 gave me new steps of 430.94 - almost half. Ran a second test and the intended 100mm extrusion was right at 100mm. Test model in process and so far, looks clean. You guys are the best and thank you!!!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Terry Reilley The 723.38 number was pulled from some alternate reality and is not even correct for the standard R1 with a Greg's Wade Extruder. That is why at least once a month there is a post linking to the video above from Tom Sanlanderer.

10. danzca6

That's awesome! I'm glad to here that was the issue. Happy printing buddy. Cheers

11. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

The test prints were perfect!!!

12. regor

regor Member

I also recently installed the titan extruder and in the instructions gave a starting estep value of 417 due to the known value of the gears. You should periodically check to make sure the screws secured from titan to motor haven't loosened up. Noticed due to being very warm and light screws need slight re-torquing.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. danzca6

Blue lock tite might be the friend you are looking for.

14. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I used blue loctite during assembly as well, but found a problem during disassembly where the brass embedded nut in the lower right corner is loose, so the screw just turns aimlessly.

15. danzca6

Ugh... Yeah I had that issue as well. I put some glue around it and it seemed to help mine.