1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print Shredding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jccbsl, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

Print2.jpg Print1.jpg I've printed several similar lithophanes with good success, however now I get the attached results. No changes in the temperature settings for the extruder or bed, however the printer is in an unheated room with the ambient temperature hovering just below 60F.

The print in the attached photos was repositioned on the edge of the bed for a better camera angle. The print was done well within the borders of the bed.

Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks like the print fell off the bed? (didn't adhere). I normally do lithophanes on rafts because of this. What speeds are you running? if it was still stuck to the bed and you found it like that...well thats just crazy :D lol.

3. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

It didn't fall. The print was still stuck to the middle of the bed with the shredding on top when I shut things down. It looks like the layers are not adhering to each other once the print is about 40% done. I'll try disabling the cooling fan and see how that goes. Maybe in the cold room, the upper layers are cooling too fast.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Could be. Possibly a layer shift. May want to make sure all the set screws and belts are tight

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cooling too fast is only ever a problem with a material (like, say, ABS) that wants to warp. With every filament you want the previous layers to be totally cooled enough to NOT be flowing when the next layer comes around.

6. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

Increasing the skirt and slowing the speed way down appears to have solved this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.