1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printed Great, then death...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by delorean88, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Hey guys, I sent an email to tech support, but maybe someone can give me a quick simple answer. I received the printer on Friday 9/27 after ordering it in February (like the rest of us). A loooooong wait. I was really exciting to get this machine moving, but was a little intimidated by it and wanted to wait until I had a full day to get everything working. Well luckily I was able to get some time the next day and start troubleshooting. I was able to get the printer working and connected as well as print to the point where I almost used up all of my filament. By the way I still have not finished one complete print yet, due to the typical issues of the filament not sticking to the bed and other small issues. Nothing I couldn't handle. Well, tonight, I go to use my printer, taking the same steps I have taken the past 2 days and now the X-axis motor seems to be dead. Y, Z moves fine. X just hums. Very low sad hum. It will not budge. I'm telling you this thing was printing like a dream, I was able to print about 100 layers. Now, nothing, DEAD. I'm very disappointed. Everything was working better than I anticipated, and now, nothing. I did the normal tests. Unplugged it, reset my computer, pulled the USB cable out and back in...It literally stopped working from last night being awesome to nothing when I got home from work. I don't get it. My only thought is that the motor simply died...after 2 days!? Any ideas? By the way, the belt or extruder head is not being obstructed by anything. Literally guys, last night awesome, went to bed, went to work, got home, doesn't work...Stumped.

This is an ABS/PLA Printer. Running Repetier.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

When the motor hums is does it get very hot or is it luke warm
    the issue could be on the small polulu card that controls the power to the motor it could have been close before but now got to a point where it is starving for power.

The hum is good in one way it means you are getting power there it just may not be enough. are you comfortable with making a tiny adjustment to a very tiny potentiometer if so I can sort of guide you through what you need to do. Let me know

3. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Thanks for responding. Actually it doesn't get warm at all. When I hold it with my fingers as I try to move it with manual control, it just vibrates ever so slightly almost like a cell phone vibrating while it was "ringing". Not to sound completely stupid, but what is a potentionmeter?

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

sorry I mistyped that potentiometer it is an electronic piece that allows you to manually adjust voltages and or currents

A volume control knob is an example of a large one or a dimmer switch
    the one I am talking about on the board is about the size of a bb

2013-10-01 23.31.17.jpg this is a picture of two polulu boards just like on your printer that board is about 1 inch long and 3/4 inch wide the circular thing in the center of the image is the potentiometer (or pot) and you see the little x on it that is a made for a tiny jewlers phillps head screw driver.

If you decide to do this you MUST find some way to mark its current amount of rotation and what you would do is simply turn this a tiny amount in one direction and then check to see if the motor operates if it does then you need to make sure it DOES NOT GET TOO HOT. I had another project that used something similar and i turned mine too far and the motor got hot enough to burn me so I had to go back an turn it back some.

So be careful if you do this
    it should be set where the motor runs but does not get real hot it can get warm but not hot hot is bad
    it can also get ot a point where it runs but is still barely getting enough and then the motor may start to make a screeching noise which may not happen all the time if that happens you need to do a bit more adjusting

It sounds a bit intimidating but is actually pretty simple you just have to take it slow and be careful

5. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

This is what I am looking. I do not see a Phillips type head. Or maybe I'm blind?

Attached Files:

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

pot.jpg
    that is from your image: that is the pot the phillips head should fit in that x opening seen there are five so you have to do the correct one

7. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Yeah I just turned the printer on its side and I can clearly see the screw now. I'm assuming I turn the one labeled X. Is there any particular direction for more/less power? I will mark it as suggested.

8. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Ok, I spoke to soon, which one would it be? Whichone_x.jpg

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am not sure but after it is marked and you go to turn it make sure you do it in the smallest amount it won't take much like maybe a 1/30 of a revloution basically once you see that it is different from where you marked it that is enough. NOT MUCH AT ALL

if one direction does not work you can try other if either direction doesn't do anything thing then put it back to its original position and you will probably need to contact ROBO

ONE OTHER THING you can try before messing with this is which might be easier is
    you have an extra one of these boards you should see 5 boards 1 for z 1 for x 1 for y and then 1 for e0 the extruder and a last one for E1 which would be a second extruder
    swapping the board at E!1 for the one at X would be a fast check as well if you are comfortable removing the boards they just have pins that go into socket os the parent board

So you have two options

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe the way you show it there is the red arrow is the x board and the yellow arrow is the E1 board which is the one you could try and swap with the z board

look to the right side(in that pic) for an E0 and anE1 those are for extruders you only use 1 right now

11. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

I will hedge my bets turning the screw first. I do not have an extra board. My guess is, the one on the left (red arrow) is the one I should mark and turn?

12. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Never mind our messages crossed paths, yes I will try the red arrow. Wish me luck.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

you do have an extra board I see five there and the robo uses only 4

1 for z
    1 for y
    1 for x
    1 for extruder

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

remember very small amounts

15. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Ok, hold the phone, :) I didn't realize I had the extra board. Let me see if I can pull it.....Ok, I swaped the ships. The x is moving now, but only slightly in the +X it goes to 50 and starts grinding. If I go the other way (-x) it moves to the switch and stops. So the motor isn't dead, but now I have a different problem.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok well first off make sure the motor is free to move but turning the pritner completely off and then the axis should all move freely back and forth

When like this does the x axis go from side to side completely and smoothly

17. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Another thing, it felt like the motor was fighting to stay in the 0 position. When I killed the power, the motor "relaxed".

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

is there anything on the belt that can prevent it from moving freely

19. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Everything moves fine, until I turn the power on and connect to Repetier. I just now moved the head manual (while off) all the way to the right. When I connect the printer back to the software and tried to move it manually (using program) it just made a horrible grinding noise and the belt was jumping up and down.

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok I am trying to think
    so when x goes positive it only goes to about 50mm and then binds up but will go easily to zero right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.