1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printed Great, then death...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by delorean88, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Ok it seems like something is in reverse. If I turn the printer off and by hand move the head all the way over to the right, then turn it on and NOT hit the home, button. I can move it back and forth. However, if I manually (with my hand) move it is all the way to the left (where the stop switch is) and turn the printer on I can only move it x+ 50. It seems to NOT know where itself is. The coordinates are all off and I check my printer settings? It's moving, but with no real control.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok need to think about this

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok try this
    there is a switch it is called the stop switch it tells the controller board when x equals zero

it is on the lef t side on the z axis assembly at the front
    so turn off the printer and move the asembly to the right side of the printer and then turn it on
    then hit the home button but before it reaches there manually tap that switch and see if the motor stops moving

4. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Does it help to tell you that when I hit the home button for Z and Y everything goes to zero and stops accordingly. Currently I can move X, but it doesn't know where the stop points are and grinds on either side, also the X coordinate is currently RED where the others are grey.

5. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Yeah its like its backwards. Home is the wrong way. The switch stops the head. Let me say that even when the head reaches the switch it still grinds. Only when I touched it as you suggested did it stop mid travel.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

in order for the limits to be known the start point must be known if the x =0 is never found then it can't know when to stop so it will go all theway in both directions
    that is why I suggest hitting the switch manually

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok so after you hit the home switch manually it stops the motor you should be able to move it back and forth like 20mm correct with the computer buttons don't home it just get it stopped somewhere in the middle by doing the manual switch and then see if you can move it in either direction about 20mm

8. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Why does home cause it to Grind now? I should be able to return it to the switch, not the other way. Man when it reaches to the side that does not have the switch (because I pressed home) it grinds badly and I have to disconnect the printer to make it stop.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

try it like I said without hitting the home button just tap the switch manually when it is in the middle and then try to move 20mm in both directions

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Where are you delorean

11. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

I just posted a video to You-tube, it is still processing, here is the link.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

so you direction is reversed and that would probably be the issue I am not sure if that is something on the card but if it was working right yesterday then I would assume so so you may have to switch the card back but at least you learned the the motor itself is still working properly so it may be just adjusting that pot

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

When trying to find 0 it is looking for a switch to tell it butif it is moving away from the switch it will never find it so it hits the ends and then grinds.
    When moving in the opposite direction it never knows where zero was so it does not know where it should be stopping and at that point isn't even looking for a stop switch so it keeps going in that direction as far a syou tell it to go when it runs out of room it grinds.

So that is the reason it is grinding on both sides

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

gonna check back in tommorow morning

15. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

I tried putting the chip back and adjusting the pot as you suggested and the motor is back to a low hum. I tried to dial it ever so slightly in both directions and I still get a hum.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

At this point you know the motor is good and the circuitry is good because you were printing before so I see two ways to go try moving the post a bit more in each direction remember you are safe as long as the motor does not get really hot and you can tell by touch if it is getting there and you can always shut it off and turn the pot back but I would try to do that first as that is probably the easiest. if you always only get the hum the the polulu card itself could be shot Right now I do not know why switching the card caused the reverse in direction so I have to look into that but it is 1:30 for me and I have to get some sleep so I can check more tomorrow. Leave a note if you continue to try things and when I get up I will look at them heck you may even get it fixed
    Good luck

17. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Just wanted update you. I was up till 3am and still couldn't get it to work. I switched the chips back and the motor just hums. When I turned the screw the motor would just hums louder when turning to the right and almost not existent when turning to the left.I'm hoping that maybe they will contact me and it is as simple as updating the firmware that will reprogram the chip or send me a new chip. Otherwise I will ask for an exchange. This sucks. If you have anymore thought I'd love to hear them since nobody from the company has contacted me.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well let me look at the reversing direction thing
    a bit more it may be a simple fix

19. delorean88

delorean88 New Member

Ok, thanks. I had to re calibrate the z axis by the way. They didn't level my bed. This once awesome device is now proving itself to be a shotty assembly. I'm still hopeful and your help is truly appreciated. Their tech support is non responsive. VERY disappointing. Happy to take money just not help. It's not like there are a ton out there yet that they are inundated with product issues. Don't want to sound like a whiney baby. There was another issue that is a major concern and I will be talking to the owners about it if I need to, but I'm holding that in my back pocket for now. I do not want it to come to that. I know they are a small team so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt...for now. Again your help is most appreciated

Regards

20. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

When you say tech support what are you trying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.