1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

printed screws/nuts assemble at an angle?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Jul 8, 2015.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

This might not be the best forum for my question but since this is my new home (I love my new Robo3D R1), I thought I'd ask.

I'm printing / designing lightsaber parts that screw together to assemble a full-length, customized lightsaber. I've using a slightly modified 'simplethreads' OpenSCAD library to make the screws & nuts and adding them to my models in Design 123D. The simplethreads library is here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:628659. I'm having a problem where the printed segments are angled instead of straight.

I'll have a tube about 90mm long and about 30mm in diameter with screw threads on the outside that screws into another tube about 90mm long but 40mm in diameter with a matching nut on the inside. When I screw them together the two tubes are clearly not straight. The screw and nut are about 20mm in length and have endstops... so everything is tight but the two tubes are clearly at an angle.

Any thoughts?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Picture(s) please.

3. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

Certainly.

Not the best pic, but you can see that the bottom tube should continue tilted slighting to the right, while the inner tube (and corresponding acrylic blade) are straight up and down.

[​IMG]

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Best guess is a CAD issue. The threads are probably the guilty party (it can be a challenge to do them right).
    Rather than threads you might consider slots or tongue and groove. You could then use an adhesive for a permanent connection. A twist-lock slot arrangement would allow it to be removable.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah, those L shaped slots, where you push it together straight down then twist 90° to lock in place, would be much easier to model than threads, likely easier to print also.

mark tomlinson likes this.