1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printer Fixates on One Part, Ruined Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dirtbikr, Jul 2, 2016.

1. dirtbikr

dirtbikr New Member

Hello everyone!

Weird question, something I haven't seen before for sure. I've put around 600 hours on my Robo 3D R1+ since I received it last October. I always slice in Matter Control and rarely change my settings since I have it down pretty well.

I went to print the toothpaste rollers on Thingiverse (which I have printed successfully in the past, although it was a single one, not four and I did not have the infill up to 100%). When the print reaches a couple layers in, it will "stick" to printing one of the gear pieces and never comes off of it, just extruding down forever and pushing plastic out of its way, following what I assume is the outer shell, never increasing the Z axis or moving to a new location.

I (usually) always print at 0.1mm, but the projected time in Matter Control was over 60 hours for 100% infill and 0.1mm layers, so I bumped it up to 0.2mm layers. It will get stuck in the same place every time, which makes me think it is a slicing problem. I'm not even sure if the printer is capable of getting stuck in a loop. I am printing off of an SD card using the XXL screen.

Here is a OneDrive link (https://1drv.ms/f/s!AktcdS840rLekPYfotuc7bp70rbJhw) with a picture of the print, a picture of what I would like it to print in Matter Control, and the whole gcode file for my print. My first instinct was that the slicer messed up and the gcode would just be replicated all the way through, but I didn't know exactly where to look, all I know is that it happens within the first few layers (I'd say less than 8 for sure). Just quickly looking through the gcode, I see that the z axis is being incremented so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks in advance!

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That's a new one to me. Do you have another slicer like Cura installed that you can try? Sounds like x and Y are moving just fine but z is stuck. Is that correct? The picture of the bird nest of filament looks like it was printing in the air. Sorry on my phone and can't see it in greater detail. Can you print just one at that resolution just fine?

#2 danzca6, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cura, Repetier host, there are a few other free slicers. Try one and see if the behavior persists.

Geof likes this.