1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Printer Hardware Error: MaxTemp triggered

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nancy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I'm getting the following error message when I try to connect to the Robo R1+ printer:

MatterControl - Alert
    Your printer is reporting a hardware Error. This may prevent your printer from functioning properly.
    Error Reported: ": Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !".

I have tried uninstalling MatterControl and re-installing, turning the printer off and back on, unplugging the printer for a couple of minutes and plugging it back in. I tried connecting it to another computer and I also tried using cura. Nothing is working. This is happening when I tell Matter Control to connect to the printer. If I just click ok (the only option) on the error, I can use MatterControl, but if I tell it to heat up it won't.

Any ideas?

#1 Nancy, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thermistor problem? A defective thermistor can go one of two ways:

1) it reads zero
    2) it reads a really high value (350-400c)

If the latter then you will get the MAX TEMP error since the firmware has that set far lower than 300c

I don't use MC so not familiar enough with it to walk you through, but there should be a way to see the extruder temperature.
    What is it reading? Does wiggle the wire bundle to the hotend make a difference while watching the temperature?

3. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I can't get it to read a temperature. I've tried on a different computer that also has MatterControl installed and it's doing the same thing. I tried using Cura - it won't even connect to it (despite me using the profile for Robo 3D).

Earlier I tried printing something and it was "going through the motions" but not actually extruding. I had a clogged extruder and cleaned it out. Now I'm getting this error and can't do anything.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My suspicion would be that the thermistor got damaged along the way.
    You might try repetier host (another free one) and see if you can at least get connected.

Alternatively since matter control will connect export/save the GCode terminal log once you get connected and the error occurs.
    Maybe that will tell the tale.

I can't specifically tell you how to do that, but the docs are over here:

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/OPTIONS/G-Code_Terminal

maybe bring it up and then use "Export..."?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Too high a temp, if it reads that, always is a broken wire. Thermistors used in 3D printers increase resistance as temperatures increase. Broken wires = infinite resistance so they report whatever the top limit is. If you have a short the opposite is true zero resistance and it will report 0°C or some other low bogus number. I would check to see if all wires are still plugged in properly and make sure none are broken or shorted together.

Since the wires are in physical contact with the heater block, it could be a case of an intermittent break or short that only occurs when heat is applied. Otherwise it could be time to PID tune your extruder.
    http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Robert55 and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Robert55

Robert55 Member

One other possible answer is that your thermistor got hooked up to the cooling fan wire by mistake. The connectors on my Robo3D are identical.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Nosh

Nosh New Member

use the bottom row on the ramps board