1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Printer just stops

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Central Utah 3D, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Central Utah 3D

Central Utah 3D New Member

I'm running windows 10, matter control 1.4 on the Robo R1 +plus

About every third print I have to re-boot the laptop because the printer just stops (lockes up??) during the first layer and won't do anything (even in the controls it won't unlock or move).

anyone else having this problem, or is it just my luck with the thing?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

there could be multiple cause: but in my own experience most of those kind of error comes from temperature error. next time you print, open the terminal on matter control and once your print stops export it and show it to us

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might try a powered USB hub between the computer and the printer.
    The Arduino is hungry and sometimes draws more power than the internal USB ports can sustain.

5. Central Utah 3D

I moved the files from a thumb drive to the laptops hard drive and it seems to have corrected the problem (or at least it hasn't stopped since I did that.)

6. juicius

juicius New Member

I'm having a very similar issue where the temperature of the extruder and bed drops and the print process is aborted. Print log shows the following error message:

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [146.212]

<-Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [146.217]

The printer holds the temp fine while I preheat and fiddle around with the design. But shortly after printing the skirt and maybe a layer or two, it just stops. I replaced the thermistor with the stud type but error occurs in the same manner with the same message. It almost looks like the power supply issue. Shortly before the error started showing up, I printed 3 objects taking around 5 hours total time and those jobs finished fine.

7. janot928

janot928 Active Member

do you have the fan on? If yes try to turn it off, This has been the cause of many issues for me int the past. and also check that everything is pluged nice and that there are no short circuit and so on

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It may be a bad connection for the thermistor wires either in the wire bundle or at the RAMPS.
    In that case movement/vibration can make it fail.

One thing that happened to me was that the autoleveling sequence (the 9 point bed check) was causing it to fail this way.
    Apparently while it is doing the autoleveling it is NOT maintaining temp for the hotend so it would merrily do the auto-level and then bail once it finished (or shortly thereafter) when it got around to noticing that the temperature had fallen. To fix this I have it do the autloeveling and then specify the print temp. This is a bit of a pain, but works every time.

Only one of my printers had this issue, the other one is fine the old way. Both have the stud thermistor, but one must have more air-flow around it :)

startup gcode that worked:

G28; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    G28; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    G29 ; probe the bed
    M109 Sxxxx; set the extruder temp and wait

where xxxx is the temp you want to print at.

janot928 likes this.
  9. janot928

janot928 Active Member

yep had this one to a few times ;)

10. felipe fomez

felipe fomez Member

I'm getting the same issue. How did you resolve this situation?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you even try what i suggested?

12. Central Utah 3D

Moving the file from the mini sd card plugged into the lap top, to the hard drive on the lap top solved my problem. Since I started doing that I haven't had a single print stop.

13. juicius

juicius New Member

In my case, the rubber boot was coming off and the thermistor was not in contact with the hotend. Of course, the hotend was getting hot. HOT really, but the thermistor wasn't reading it. I solved it by getting a scew-on type thermistor from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THZJIY8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00) so that would never be an issue. Honestly, I think it should've come like that from the manufacturer. So issues now with this.

Oops, sorry, I didn't read the post you were replying to.

In that particular case, the problem was the fan overcooling the hotend to below the threshold temperature for the ABS filament I was printing. The fan was set to 100% and the hotend temp would steadily drop in the beginning and when it fell below where the ABS could be safely extruded, the print aborted with that error code.

I fixed it by lowering the fan intensity. I start at 65% now and go as high as 85%.

14. Trama

Trama Member

I was having a similar problem when printing from the sd card. The g-code was incomplete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk