1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer - malfunction!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kimao_2, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

So here’s situation…

Recently received my 3d printer (06.may) and by the 3’rd print test I started to experience the “clogging” problem with the hot end. I honestly thought it would work a while before this became a problem, but I was proven to be wrong… know that this might happen, I also to the liberty to purchase a E3D hot end while I waited for the delivery of the printer.

Give the situation with original print head I decided to switch/upgrade the hot end and installed the E3D according to instruction. Everything went smoothly until the point of “pre-heat of hot end and tightening nozzle”. As instructed the hot end should be heated to 290 degrees and immediately controlled, but after reaching 250+ degrees the printer “black out”.

By that I mean; Control over extruder and hot bed is lost. Displays “0” as value in “matter control” and does not respond to commands. This is also the case for more or less all other functions, z, x & y axis are not moving, with a minor exception – All home function works and cooling fan on hot end…

So given the situation, what’s wrong, where do I start trouble shooting and how do I proceed?

All feedback is appreciated!

2. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Did you update the firmware and remove the temp limits?

3. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

I'm afraid I did not do any changes to this, basically because I didn’t know about it until I’ve started searching this forum and got a Better understanding of the software.
    The firmware was updated as recommended in matter control, but this was done before the hot end was replaced.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You have to customize the MAX temp in the firmware to allow it to get that hot. The stock hotend can't do that and the MAX temp is set accordingly. Sounds like you are exceeding the stock max temp and the printer shuts down.

5. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

The max temperature has been changed in the software, but afterwords and this didn't solve the issue...

6. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Did you recompile it and upload via the arduino IDE?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

download the firmware from here (not sure what version you have)
    Edit configuration.h and look for this:

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240 //robo
    that line needs to be changed because with that setting the printer will E-Stop at >240 degrees.
    Recompile and re-upload to Robo (using the Arudio IDE as Bob64 pointed out).
    I bet this is in the FAQ melody links to.

To be clear we are not talking about changing it in matter control or whatever software you print with, but in the software on-board of the printer itself.

8. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Firmware is now updated both with "max temp" and thermistor value as described in:
    Unfortunately this does not solve my problem, still no control over the printers movements, extruder and bed temp... As picture from Matter-control" shows, actual temp is 0. Clearly this isn't correct as it should have shown ambient temp.

Attached Files:

9. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Check to make sure the thermistors are plugged into the RAMPs board...

0 usually means they're disconnected or not working. I've seen only one fail at a time, but this is the first time I've ever seen both fail.

10. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Appears to be connected, but am i wrong to assume they can be measured to determine if they are work properly?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, zero degrees is an open thermistor. Stupid high values are a shorted one (particularly if they do not change). Given that both are 'open' I would check to make sure the connector on the RAMPS board is still in place. (as Bob64 is saying) Broken wire could do it, but odd that you might break both.

12. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Based on you feedback Iv'e been making some progress on this issue, at last, but the result is kind of shocking :/

I checked both connector on the RAMPS board and they where ok. Still malfunctioning, so i proceed with checking all wires. Even these were found ok, so this didn't solve the issue either. I figured a last attempt on reconnecting the stock hot end could give me valuable information - like if this is a extruder or board "problem".

Strangely as is sound both the extruder and bed temp suddenly came alive... seems like the E3D hot end is causing the issue, but weird that it affects both. So in a attempt to recreate the fault i connected the E3D thermistor and as anticipated, the printer is back to square one and malfunctions...

Based on these facts i would say it's fair to conclude that the E3D thermistor is causing all of this..
    Curious as I am - if the thermistor i open and not shorted how does this cause a problem?
    As a short term solution, will it be possible to use the stock thermistor? Does anybody know what the difference are one these two? (must be some as i needed to change the firmware value)

13. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Making progress :) Replaced the thermistor and the printer is now up and running.

With that said im having a last battle with end stop switches for the z-axis.
    Now it's working "inverted", meaning it stops the motor now When it's compressed Instead of When the carrier is lifted..

All cabels and connectors have been checked...

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

15. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Yep, recently updated with marlin 3_14_14. was need for updating the max temp for the extruder.
    Does this version have a incorrect switch logic?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

On the auto-level version they use 2 switches in parallel. The lines are normally open and it looks for a closed to signal an end stop hit (or in the auto levels case, the switch unseats)

The traditional call is the opposite, normally closed and an end stop hit opens the circuit.

In the auto_level firmware there's a call "Invert_switch_logic" or something like that. Normally set to "False" They changed it to "True"

The link above has the correct firmware

17. Kimao_2

Kimao_2 New Member

Tanks Mike, all works well now :)

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.