1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printer powered Rasberry Pi for Octoprint.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I'm trying to power my Rasberry Pi using the printer itself so the only wire coming from the printer is its own power cable.

I've used a regulator to step the 12V down to 5V but my multimeter is telling me that there is only 0.25A running to my Rasberry Pi. I've attached an image of where I'm taking my power from. (Sorry for potato image, I forgot to take a picture when I had my printer open so I got one from the internet instead.)

Is there somewhere else that'd be a better option? Or is what I'm attempting just not that feasible.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      151.4 KB
      Views:
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The best place to grab the 12v is directly off of the power supply rails, not the RAMPS board. Run your own wires (don't pigyback onto the RAMPS wires).

Other than that, you might be OK. That power supply only has 350w available and the printer itself will want a lot of that at times. There are other threads discussing all of that. I think you can say there is likely an extra 35w-50w at least that you can take advantage of.

Long term I would swap the power supply for a better one (400w or 450w). They have them that form factor that will drop right in.

3. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Thought I would add my 2 cents in because I am about to do the same thing. Why not using a phone wall charging brick and connect it to the AC input? That is what I am doing and it's a lot easier than trying to bring in a 12V to 5V regulator.

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

#4 danzca6, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Nate Lowrie likes this.