1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer stops increasing in Z

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Buckwild, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Buckwild

Buckwild New Member

With more complicated prints, my Robo reaches a certain height (usually about 7mm off the build plate) and stops increasing the z step. The print continues in X and Y, but the Z fails to increase. The printer will lift the Z axis as it normally does during printing in order to start a new pass or whatever, but ultimately won't increase the Z layer height. Has anyone else had this issue? I am using a RepRap LCD controller with g code generated from Repetier Host through Slic3r. I have tried simple prints like a basic hollow cylinder and have no issues whatsoever.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, I would start by at least testing a different slicer.
    I do not (off the top) remember this issue.

3. Buckwild

Buckwild New Member

I tried the same part with MatterControl and MatterSlice and have gotten the same issue.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds to me like your Z stepper motor might be overheating. Try printing lifter feet and ensure the fan is blowing on the ramps board underneath.

5. Buckwild

Buckwild New Member

Good call MIke! Thanks for the tip. I printed some lifters and now it seems to be working totally fine.