1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printer stops printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Arbi, May 28, 2015.

1. Arbi

Arbi Member

Ok Guys , this is a new issue with my printer and i would appreciate if anyone can help

one of my Robo R1 printers, stops in the middle of the print. I would say around first 3 min. I use Repitior and its weird that right after it stops the software that counts down the print remaining starts to count fast. Its been doing this randomly for the past 3-4 days. I have no idea where to look for to fix it. can you help ?

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Could be a bad model / slice. I know I experienced that when I first got the printer, but that was with matter control. Changing the slice settings (infill) usually worked. I always just chalked it up to buggy software.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can also be a troublesome USB communications.
    I would start by swapping in a new cable.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also printing from SD is usually a good way of preventing this. Repetier host supports this as well.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I would occasionally have this issue prior to doing the LCD screen upgrade and saving everything to an SD card and running the print from there.

I know it's essentially a USB power issue for some computers, but I figured I'd go ahead and set things up so the printer can drive itself since the point is to be able to start a print and go do something else while it runs.

6. Arbi

Arbi Member

Can someone explain if i do not have the LCD screen how can i run it from the SD card ? Do i save the Gcode on the main directory of the SD card and then plug ? then what ? do i need to hit any button ? No idea !!

7. daniel871

8. Arbi

Arbi Member

Thank you i did the SD printing and the same problem happened. Does this mean something in the printer is wrong ? How do i know what is the problem ? Could it be the Electronic board ? This is really annoying me :(

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Does this happen on all models (like a test cube) or only on models you have provided?

10. Arbi

Arbi Member

the thing is i am printing my models for more than 5 months and never issues. in fact the onther robo that i have is printing just fine with the same method. This one is working randomly and it started last week. I just printed using the USB cable with no problem at all. !!! before that i got one that failed . I know its not the models for sure. i don't know what is happening

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then there is something wrong with the printer or the firmware.
    You might try refreshing the firmware with the current version.

12. Arbi

Arbi Member

Can you please tell me how the refreshing of the firmware works ?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. daniel871

If you had an lcd controller you might get a more detailed error message. I've had a couple failed prints with "temp fall error" on the LCD which is literally "temp dropped too fast" which makes the printer stop.

It usually was because the air conditioner came on for me, though this should be fixed after I set up my enclosure.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure the fan is running on the RAMPS board. Otherwise it will overheat and that will cause all sorts of weird issues.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also the temp fall can happen if the thermistor is loose on the hotend (it will move around during printing and often generate that error).

17. Arbi

Arbi Member

if it has to do with the firmware update shouldn't both printers act the same way ? since i am controlling both printers from 1 PC ? the other one works just fine. Also if the temp was going down , i could see that in the software controller but that dosn'tshow it is dropping. How do i make sure the fan for the RAMPS is working ? is it showing somewhere or i have to disassemble the bottom and look manually ?

18. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I had a wire that was not connected from the factory to the power supply. it was just resting on it. So I got intermittent craziness.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are you sure both of them have the same version of the firmware?
    Yes, you will need to at least turn the printer over and then turn it on to see if the fan is spinning.

20. Arbi

Arbi Member

no i am not sure, is there a way to check the firmware version ?