1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Printer warping Non-ABS prints..

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Psychophoria, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Good morning everyone.
    So the last spool of filament has been once again dedicated to getting the Robo 3D to print...
    This constant DIY and issues that pop up really are quite irritating, and it takes away evening after evening that I should be spending with my family.
    Anyways, enough of my rant.
    This issue this time, is getting noticeable warping time and time again. I have gone through my normal troubleshooting routine, and nothing seems to be working.
    Here are my specs for the Plastic 3D, I mean, uh, Robo 3D.
    - New Hex Hotend
    - PETG Filament, at 250C, bed at 87. (Have also tried PLA)
    - Simplify3D, latest version, and using settings from Jules's PETG guide.
    - Printing via SD card, which is initialized with Mattercontrol. (Have tried multiple SD's)
    Here are some images of the issue I'm experiencing:

[​IMG]

Here's another..

[​IMG]

And one more, when the printer reaaaaaally went wacko...

[​IMG]

Keep in mind, the following parts printed out perfectly without problems a few days prior to this..
    I haven't changed any settings, or done anything new which would of caused these problems.
    Anyways, would appreciate some help with this if anyone knows what's going on.
    Have some more filament on the way, there goes another $25, whew.

2. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bound to be someone who uses PETG that can comment on it.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Someone on Facebook for a different printer (Prusa i3 clones) is asking people that have had printers for a while if they've noticed a trend of having to re-figure all of their settings when the seasons change for the people that haven't built dedicated temperature/moisture control chambers for their printers.

Is your Robo kept in a well insulated/temperature and humidity regulated environment?

Don't get me wrong, I also think the Robo is plagued by a lot of preventable QC issues, but usually when something is wrong with the machine the print fails altogether.

Your prints that you are complaining about honestly look better than most of my Robo prints, though (the i3 I have, for the record, has been damn near flawless in comparison, but it is also a lighter and slower printer).

5. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I don't believe this is a PETG related problem.

6. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

My printer is in a small room in which I keep heated when I am printing to allow for better quality prints. I've had a thousand problems with the Robo, but this issue is something I can find no information on... My new filament is here, I'm ready to print, but no point in wasting more money if it's just going to keep distorting my prints...

7. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Once again as an overview.
    I have tried PETG and PLA, both settings of which are tuned in perfectly.
    I've tried different SD cards.
    Using Simplfiy3D, latest update.
    I DIDN'T have this issue a week ago.
    I HAVEN'T changed anything on the printer.

Edit: Printed out another test of a different model, same issue of bizarre warping. The printer is essentially unusable, and I'm afraid this issue may have no solution. I can't find ANY information about the bizarre warping.

#7 Psychophoria, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

The Robo 3D support has yet to get back to me..
    Honestly, the amount of DIY time for this printer is awful...
    I hate to talk smack about it, because I own it, but it's just becoming a burden.
    My friend purchased a Printrbot Metal Plus when I bought my Robo during Christmas, and he hasn't had near the amount of issues I've had.
    I understand some people have great experiences with the Robo, and some have horrible ones. And well, I suppose I'm just unlucky.
    Tried printing again for a third time, and really, I'm just about done. I emailed them and asked for a refund, because this just isn't working out for me.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Warping filament is not normally a printer hardware issue. It is a heat management issue.
    That is why you are not getting a lot of definitive answers :)

Normally the filaments you are using do not want to warp (unlike ABS which only warps on days that end in a "Y").
    I have (however) managed to get even PLA to warp with certain sets of temperatures.
    I would suggest -- without knowing all of the details -- that you are a bit too hot.

10. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Why is it continuously warping in the same section of the Y axis, on different prints?
    Yesterday, it just started going totally diagonal again, like in the third image I posted originally.
    No idea what else to do.
    Going to try some of my friends filament, I'm going over to his house to check out his Printrbot.
    Will let you know how it goes, or if it even goes at all.

#10 Psychophoria, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Frankly, your pictures are too small and not close enough for me to make an intelligent response on them in specific.

If it is the same model then warping at the same spot is not strange. 'That' is the spot where the temperatures are more critical and failing.
    'That' spot might well vary (and will) from model to model :)

Think of it this way -- if you have a small, tall layer you have to do something specific in the slicer or it will get 'melty' (because it is not cooling enough between extruder passes).

That is just a really obvious sort of failure to control temperature, others are far more subtle and the material type matters.

12. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Tested it today with PLA. Same issue. Have tried different materials, and different models...
    Uggggggggh.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have you tried setting Simplify3D to use different temperatures in those areas or are you leaving it the same across the entire model? I assume you have repaired the model as well just in case there is something in that area that is making the slicer do odd things.

Open a ticket with them an provide them the model.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if your using S3D I'd be happy to post my factory file for you to try and then you can rule out if its a setting issue. take a deep breath :D 3D printing can be the most frustrating thing in the worth when the stuff that work days ago dont work now. Hang in there.

15. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Is it warping or is the whole print skewed? I can't really tell from your pictures.. it looks skewed to me and not a heat/warping issue.

If its skewed on Y, make sure your Y axis belt is tight and not slipping, make sure set screws on gripper wheels that drive the belt under the bed are not loose. Additionally make sure the belt is lined up under the bed and not being pulled up/down and binding. you can adjust this with the set screw on the drive wheel that comes off the Y motor.

#15 KTMDirtFace, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

I'm out of town for the weekend, but when I get back I'll look at it.
    It's not a heat issue. I know this because I've printed un-warped prints with these settings, and I've tried different filaments as well as different types of models.
    I believe there must be something loose, or something wrong with the printer.
    Because on the last print I tried, the supports were EXTREMELY warped. They were supposed to be straight, and instead, they were very wavy. This was with proper PLA settings as well.
    Fun stuff.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep. That is a loose something (belt, drive cog, etc.)

Geof likes this.
  18. Psychophoria

Psychophoria Member

Robo STILL hasn't replied to my support ticket. Interesting. Going to work on the printer when I get back on Wednesday or Thursday.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've found the members here to be much more helpful :) I use robo for warranty issues and for the firmware (just so it comes directly from their tech). Any troubleshooting, quirks, fun talk, mods etc.... Nothing beats the members here

Psychophoria and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are likely better off calling them.
    I have no personal experience on the level of support this gets you, but if you can tolerate the back-and-forth time to sort it out the forum will almost always come up with an answer :)

Psychophoria likes this.