1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer won't connect anymore

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nol b, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nol b

nol b Member

I haven't used my printer in a while. It would stop printing during long prints and then it eventually stopped right at the beginning of the print. I think it had to do with the thermistor. I changed the print head with an E3DV5. I haven't changed the firmware yet though. For some reason I can no longer connect to my printer now though. I tried the guide on the robo page including reinstalling drivers using the ones they have the link to. I've disconnected and reconnected it multiple times. Any idea how to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure what else to try. The LED on the board is flashing so it seems like the board is still functional. I am using MatterControl version 1.1.3.2863.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try Repetier host or some other software as a check.

3. nol b

nol b Member

Repetier claims to be connected but I can't do anything with the printer. Also, if I try to manually move it, the number of "command waiting" increases. Is there any way to reinstall the firmware?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start with the simple. Try different/better USB cables for starters. If this is Windows make sure the driver is installed. That may require downloading and installing the Arduino IDE.

5. nol b

nol b Member

No luck with the alternate USB cable. I have installed the Arduino IDE. I added the E3DV5 fan to one of the terminals. I'll try taking that off again and see if that has any effect.

6. nol b

nol b Member

That didn't seem to have any effect. Is there any way to tell if the board was somehow damaged/fried?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Reload the correct firmware.
    (I have no idea from this thread which flavor of the robo you have and therefore no idea which firmware would be appropriate, but you can find some guidance on this in the wiki I think).

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What OS?

9. nol b

nol b Member

I'm using Windows 7 with MatterControl. I'm going to try to troubleshoot this again today.

10. nol b

nol b Member

I tried to upload Marlin_2_4_14 but I get the below message. Any ideas? I'm thinking the board is fried somehow or something came loose that I'm not seeing.

Binary sketch size: 104,366 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
    avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

You need to go to the print setup and make sure your connected to the right port.

Restart the computer with the printer off. Once the OS is running with Internet support. Start the printer up. You can even reconnect the USB cable or try another cable.

Start up MC, go to printer setup and make sure you see it is setup. Then Connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

12. nol b

nol b Member

I tried two different USB cables in each of three USB ports that I have on my laptop. I've also tried installing different USB drivers. Nothing seems to be helping yet.

One thing I've noticed that may or may not be relevant is that when I restart my computer, an orange LED on the robo board lights up. This doesn't light up again at any other point. There is a green LED that continuously strobes though.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have a beta printer? Screw contacting a switch?

What does it show up as in the device manager?

14. nol b

nol b Member

Not a beta printer. It has the glass print bed that bowls. No screws appear to be contacting anything.

Right now it shows up as "RUMBA/TAURINO - ATmega 250 compatible" under Ports in device manager.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you see any coms listed in repetier?

16. nol b

nol b Member

i have no explanation but it appears to be talking again. i haven't actually printed anything but i'm going to mess with it today and see what happens.

the only changes i made were removing the screws that hold the board into the bottom of the case. it's kind of floating right now being held in place by all the wiring.

maybe a windows update had something to do with this? or voodoo?

to answer your question, it's set to COM7 in the device manager. also, it's set to COM7 in MatterControl. i tried changing the COM port a bunch of times previously and didn't get anywhere but now it's working so hopefully it'll play nice.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The connection to the arduino can be a bit finicky. I've noticed myself sometimes I have to unplug and replug the USB just to get it to connect.

Make sure the device manager lists it as something like Arduino Mega 2560 or Taurino Mega 2560

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.