1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing multiple objects causes wobble.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TylerJones4292, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerJones4292

TylerJones4292 New Member

I'm noticing that when I print multiple objects in one print, they tend to wobble a bit on the x-axis, almost as if the fast travel of the print head between items causes some sort of slipping out of alignment. It doesn't happen on other axes, and doesn't happen on single items.

Anyone else have this problem or any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

your belt and/or pulley is loose on the x

2 people like this.
  3. TylerJones4292

Okay, I'm tightening the belt. If it's the pulley, how would I diagnose/fix it?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to check the set-screws that hold the pulleys tight to the shaft and make sure they are tight.
    I had at least two that were backed out when the printer arrived.

A word of advice: get yourself some loctite and treat all of the set screws with it.

5. TylerJones4292

I tightened the belt with one of these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19892 but still have a slight wobble. Can you show me which set screws you mean? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly which ones you're talking about.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you look at the body of the pulleys that the belts are looped over (X is above the bed on the sides, Y is below) you will see a set screw (a small allen-head screw) embedded in the pulley. This goes through and against the shaft inside the pulley to hold it tight. If this gets loose it will cause the pulley to slip on the shaft when the it is turning. There is one on each motor drive shaft and this is the really important one to make sure it is not loose.

In my case they all were loose (including the ones that drive the threaded rods for the Z axis). I added some loctite and tightened them up. You can see one ion the photo attached. Sorry, a little blurry but it is at the top.

PICT0730.JPG

7. TylerJones4292

I think I found the problem and it's not the belt or pulleys. One of the two bolts that holds the extruder to the x-rail mount was loose. I just tightened it and that should clear things up.
    https://vine.co/v/MHDiXx92ueX

2 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, that would do it too. The belts/pulleys are just the low-hanging fruit :)
    Good catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.