1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lance Weston, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have two identically configured printers set up. I am using Cura 5.6.0. I am getting little indents of maybe .2mm long on my prints. The indents are random. They are small enough that they are barely visible to the naked eye.

I have used a rod to clear the print path from drive gear straight through the print head I have run a .4mm need through the print head. I use oilers on both machines. This phenomena is dependent on the part I am printing, with some parts not showing it at all.

My nozzles are hardened steel and I am printing PLA+. This occurs with every brand I try.

Any thoughts?

More info:

I use 0.9 degree steppers for x and y. I use 8825 drivers. I was setting the drivers to 32 steps. That led to 320 steps per unit on x and y and 285 on extruder. I posited ( original Robo settings) that the processor could not keep up. I set the stepper drivers to /8 for x and y returning them to 80 steps/unit and the extruder driver to /16 and 142.5 steps/unit.

To my surprise the dings were almost totally gone and print quality improved. Printer noise increased.

Some Calculations:

If the x or y is traveling 1mm using 320 steps. it would seem that the extruder should output a 1mm long trace using about the same number of steps. The drive gear is about 6mm in dia and the filament is 1.75 mm dia. (6+1.75)x 3.14 = 24.335 mm/rev. if the print nozzle is .4 mm and the layer is .2mm then (1.75 x1.75) /(.4x.4) =19.1mm x 24.335 mm/rev X 2 for .2mm layer gives 912 mm/rev

.44steps/mm x32 only yields about 14 steps/mm.

This seems to be terrible.

More Calculations:

The cross sectional area of 1.75mm filament is 2.405 mm^2
    .4mm nozzle x 0.12 mm layer is 0.048 mm^2

So the trace is 50mm long for every mm of 1.75 filament extruded.

145 steps/mm extruder divided by 50 mm is 2.9 steps/mm. This could explain the fine vertical lines I have seen on prints. I am looking at the individual steps.

I am going to put in a 0.9 degree stepper, am using the Partsbuilt system board with 8825 drivers set to 32. That will increase from 2.9 steps/mm to 11.6 steps/mm of a 0.12mm layer.

Will report when finished.

Surprises

The random dings seem to be caused by printing at too high a temp. Printing PLA @ 235 covered some problems but generated random dings.

Larger repeatable dings seem to be caused by too large jerk settings and I am trying to find optimal settings. I will report when I figure out optimal settings.

#1 Lance Weston, Feb 3, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024