1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printing with abs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Trama, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Trama

Trama Member

So I'm just starting to experiment with abs

Any tips on bed adhesion and should I run the parts fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Never a fan with ABS. Never*. No air movement anywhere around the printer.

*maybe when bridging... maybe.

3. Trama

Trama Member

That is good to know. How about bed adhesion. Is blue tape and heat goo enough

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no magic sauce.
    Everyone finds a way that works. Some people go overboard and end up having to damage the glass to get the prints off.

Suggested ideas to try (with small test prints):
    1) blue tape (with or without gluestick)
    2) hairspray on the glass
    3) some magic chemical : For ABS WolfBite or for PLA Wolfbite Nano

I have no issues using hairspray (Aquanet) on the bare glass, but whatever works for you.

(I tested both of the Wolfbite products and they seem to work as advertised, I just didn't need them)

5. Trama

Trama Member

I used blue tape. I think my problem was the fan running

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS wants to curl and warp with temperature variations as it is cooling.
    It is by far the worst filament for that type of behavior (even polycarbonate is not as bad).

So, a heated chamber is the ideal solution where you can totally control a slow, general cooldown.
    Short of that print as cool as you can and minimize any and all air circulation around the print.

7. Trama

Trama Member

So I should print on the lower end of the extrusion temp, as for heated chamber I may just put a small space heater near it to keep the temp higher

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would avoid space heaters. If anything use an IR heat lamp aimed at the model.
    However just keeping any air circulation away will help.

Be cautious since the electronics on the Robo are under the bed... if you seal the entire thing up and heat the enclosure you are running the electronics hot too.

@Printed Solid has an enclosure you can strap on the top part that leaves the electronincs open.

www.printedsolid.com

9. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I use a generous helping of elmers washable gluestick (purple) and use aluminum foil taped over the enclosure openings.

This only works for somewhat small prints (no longer than the top of the enclosure) and it's not perfect, but the cleanup is easy and non-permanent. I also find that printing slower greatly helps.

10. Trama

Trama Member

Looks like I did everything right with the exception of having the fan running. Well next print should be a bit better. Thanks everyone for the tips

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. As much as I talk down about printing ABS I have (in the past) printed a lot of it on the Robo.
    TO quote Monty Python "I got better"

You can do it, it is just touchy and more hassle so I use mostly other materials these days.
    Lots of better choices.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just as an FYI, ABS also shrinks quite a bit when cooled. Just because LEGO bricks are all so uniform at 31.8 x 15.8 x 11.4 doesn't mean that their molds are carved out to exactly those dimensions. Their advantage is that the mold can be precisely temperature controlled, our environments cannot. Unless there is one specific feature of ABS you absolutely have to have, I usually suggest people move away from ABS and on to other filaments that are easier to work with.

13. Trama

Trama Member

Mostly the texture of the finish and strength and flexibility that I was looking for

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Strength and flexibility are better with other styles of filament, texture and finishability are unique to ABS, vapor smoothing is one example of this. But FDM style printers are not the best technology if you are looking for finish like you get from injection molded parts.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, if that finish is key look at SLA or better yet, DLP. Glass smooth every time.

16. sesl

sesl New Member

Definitely invest into making something like Mike's enclosure or buying the pre made one from printedsolid. I got mine last week and it was super easy to put together. Now I just can use a little hair spray to make sure I get good adhesion and not really worry about warping like before I had the enclosure. It's such a game changer if you do a lot of printing with ABS, which I do as well.

Side effects may include... smell containment, dampened printer noises, and protecting the bed from those times you don't realize the printer is too close to the wall.

Other options you can try that will help with the adhesion side is make a ABS/acetone slurry that you brush on. It makes a big difference from hair spray but your part can still warp in ways that aren't obvious until you try to fit it or line it up with another corresponding part.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you do the ABS slurry also be advised that sticking to the bed is a done deal. :)
    You will likely need a decent razor to get it up.

18. Trama

Trama Member

I'll start with turning the fans of first and then an enclosure. Luckily I am handy enough to make one