1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problem when switching to ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PickyBiker, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

I just printed my first PLA model and it came out fine. I wanted to try it with ABS and ran into a problem.

When PLA is selected, the temps are set to 210 for the head and 50 for the table by default and everything works as it should. When I simply change the setting to ABS, the temps are set to 235 for the head and 80 for the table. In this configuration everything starts up okay, but when the head temp overshoots the 235 mark by a few degrees, it starts back down and CONTINUES all the way to room temperature and never actually starts motion.

All I have to do is switch back to PLA and everything works fine again. I am not changing any other settings.

I am using MatterControl 1.2 on Win 7 with Robo 3D R1.

2. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I think I could only get mine up to 235 as well but as I am not trying out ABS yet I didn't let it bother me. I am sure there is a way to fix it with some kind of flash I will be watching this.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you have a J-head hotend then the firmware limit is probably 235. You can adjust this and raise it to around 240, but I would suggest just sticking with 240.

4. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

He has a R1 dont they all have hex hotends?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not really :) Some of the first R1s had the j-head.
    Confused? If not, you're darn good.

6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

LOL I keep forgetting small company. I guess I just thought it was sold as having certain features so it would have them.

I guess I don't really know if I have the latest version of the R1 or not. I do know my firmware is not up to date.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mine either, but I don't care -- unless there is a problem to solve I am not updating it.

2 people like this.
  8. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

It turns out this wasn't actually an ABS VS PLA issue. It was a loose connection at the circuit board for the head heater. Intermittently, there was no voltage at the connector for the heater at the head. I flipped the machine over and found the connections for the heater at D10. The black wire was touching the connector, but it wasn't actually being gripped by the connector screw. I loosened the screw all the way, inserted the wire and tightened it. Just to be certain, I tightened the screw on all of the wires in that connector and tugged on the wires. A 6 hr and 45 min print is now under way and I am confident it will be fine now.

3 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It would not hurt (at some point) to tin any stranded wire connections you have landing on the RAMPS as well.

2 people like this.
  10. PickyBiker

PickyBiker Active Member

Not a bad idea, I'll work that into it sometime. Thanks!!!

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

This should honestly be how it comes from the factory. I'm going to suggest this

2 people like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Not having tinned connections on the high current screw terminals is a very high fire risk. Robo tech support know this but still choose to do nothing about it at manufacture.

Tech support need to be reminded yet again of the risk they are building into their consumer product. What's is it going to take? <removed>

Edit : Ok this was extreme.

#12 Ziggy, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  13. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

When I first go mine the wire were tinned but bulky solder, and that lead to not tightening well, but half the connectors were off also, I think it was a really bad QC that day, the case was even put on incorrectly.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a little extreme ziggy. What it will take is if they ever try and get UL certified.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes my comment was extreme and now deleted. As you know there are a few examples of consequences posted on the forum which have also been deleted.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah, some smoke and char but I've never seen a full blown fire. Certainly possible but I'm not sure it's very likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.