1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Problems : heated bed failure and e3d v6 hits glass plate when try to print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wesleybelgium, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

hello , I have buy-ed the r1 a few months ago , I had very good prints with it after

getting some experience with the filaments , only with big print objects the printer would

jam several times with pla ( depending what color , with white pla from same brand no

problem with black pla , you get many jams …

so I have upgraded my print-head with the new e3d v6 hot-end...

I follow the installation manual on this forum , the installation was a success but I have

trouble getting the right printing start height , before the hot-end would stay little higher

then the printing bed , now the problem is : I use simplify3d , because in my opinion this

software is much better the matter control ( for support structures and slicing )

the problem was talked about , but I only find this solution for matter control , is there anybody

that could help me with this issue ?

i have done bed leveling in software but now it scrapes the print glass...

Also the heated bed has failed a few days before the hot end swap , so its nothing related to

my changing of print-head...

It wont preheat anymore , I click heated bed on for 60°c but it keeps on room temperature , so

I don't know if this is a fuse problem , I have a cooler on the bottom with the arduino , so don't

think the problem is here...

heated bed is never used over 70°c … for the few prints I have made , would be impossible that

this is already broken ?

If theres any people out there that had the same problem , any help is appreciated :)

• problems with z axis for getting the right height on the printing bed in simplify3d (with e3d v6 extruder installed
    • heated bed does not respond anymore ( fuse related ? )

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Z axis you fix by adjusting your initial Z offset. Add this in the custom startup gcode section:

M565 Z-1.0 ;Define a 1.0mm offset, this may need adjusting

Change that Z-1.o to whatever value best works for you to get the initial Z height correct.

The bed not heating is probably a bad RAMPS board (a failed polyfuse or MOSFET).
    Check under the bed for the connectors and also under the bottom of the Robo for where the connections for the bed heater land on the RAMPS board (D8 is the heated bed). Make sure everything is connected correctly.

RAMPS.GIF

2 people like this.
  3. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

Thank you , this was very helpful , the bed alignment works now

I'm currently started with my first high quality print :)
    I'm printing pla on tape

I checked the wires on d8 , and there correct connected , so it is the fuse or the board...

I don't know if it is the fuse , because it never heats anymore , most of the users
    report heat drop while printing , but with me , the heating is not starting from the beginning

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is more likely the MOSFET then (Q3? I would have to look at the schematic again).
    If it is still under warranty then ask Robo to replace it (the RAMPS board).
    It is not very expensive you can buy a new RAMPS 1.4 from many places and it is an easy swap.
    Just re-land all of the wires on the right spots...

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Using a multimeter to trace the 12v supply to D8 is the best bet. It's a pretty simple circuit.

6. wesleybelgium

wesleybelgium New Member

Hello , sorry for the late respons back...

so we have measured the board with a multimeter , and see almost nothing at the output of the

connector for the heated bed …

we have changed the RAMPS 1.4 with a new one , all wiring was reconnected like before and

initialization was good when started the printer , but still no readings of the heated bed , 0°c

while my extruder senses the room temperature correctly (21°c) , so it must be the heated bed

thermistor , could not be anything else I think ?

Bed heating still does not work after swapping the whole RAMPS 1.4 board with new one..

bed temp registration says 0°c , so it does not register anything...

next try : seeking new bed thermistor ?

The store did say that I need to get the device back at the store , but its 8 hours driving from here

its buy-ed on-line from Holland because there are no stores that sell this 3d printer in Belgium

also they say in there policy that when changing any components that the warranty is void , so

I am afraid that they would charge me to much for any service of repair , when its clearly nothing

to do with swapping the extruder with the new e3d v6 model...

I recall that the bed was 2 weeks before I got my new extruder already broken...

the best option for me is to fix it myself...

what would your advice be ? Can I change the thermistor in the heated bed or do I need a new

unit ?

Thank you verry much for all the advice and tips :)

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can swap the thermistor on the heated bed without too much difficulty, but you need to make that decision :)

Long term, in my experience, there will be a fair amount of minor repairs you are going to need to do.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Measure the resistance across the thermistor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.