1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problems out of the box...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dave Norris, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dave Norris

Dave Norris New Member

Hi,

Just got the R1 today, it's my first 3d printer. At first, the Y axis wasn't moving at all, but then I found a broken part connecting the drive cable to the frame... kind of strange that a broken part would also happen to have a spare included with the machine, but I expect every aspect of 3-D printing to be difficult so no biggie.

once I got that working, I tried printing the calibration circle from the library. The printer does the auto calibration first, stopping at 9 points on the bed. Only instead of getting the print head close to the bed on each point, it raises up about an inch each time. It's almost at the top of the z-axis by the time it's done, then it goes down to about 5 inches off the bed and starts crapping out goo.

I'm using the latest version of mattercontrol on Windows 7, I set the printer up following the intro video. the settings are all the defaults for the R1, which I assume should be good enough for a basic print. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    David

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Sounds like the autolevel switches are not being activated correctly. Make sure the carriage is seated on the switches

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. Dave Norris

Dave Norris New Member

Thanks Mike, that fixed it. I printed out the calibration circle from the library, and it looks pretty good. A couple of questions:

1. is it normal to have it print a single layer outline about half an inch around the perimeter of the actual item it's printing?
    2. I printed a couple of things, and there are some flaws around the edges where maybe too much stuff was deposited or something else is going on...are there guides or other docs I can read about dealing with these issues?
    Thanks,
    David

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1. called the skirt. Normal. You can turn it off and alter it in some slicers.
    2. Here? Not specifically. We really do need to try and put together some general guides. The easiest thing is to try another slicer.
    Mike has some Cura specifics in a thread (as an example)

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer