1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Problems with shifting in my taller prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ahmed Jaber, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I am still getting comfortable with the RoBo and its plethora of tweakable settings, and as such I've been printing mostly small parts less than four inches tall. I've tried printing taller parts twice so far and both times I've run into the same issue: for some reason, at some point during the print (always when I decide to leave the printer unattended-- go figure), the printer shifts a few millimeters. I'm pretty sure the shift is only along the Y-axis, but I have not checked closely enough to be 100%. I've read on these forums and elsewhere that it could be a loose belt, but the Y belt feels tight enough to me (my X belt, on the other hand, is much looser). I'm attaching an example of exactly what my shift looks like. As always, thanks for any advice you can offer.

photo.JPG

2. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Ack, the photo is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

3. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Supplemental info in case it helps:

Printer: RoBo 3D (duh :p )
    Layer height: .2mm
    Material: PLA
    Software: MatterControl, Slic3r

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If your x-belt feels loose you need to tighten it. I've seen a variety of different methods. I currently use the method as described in the build video:

Around 10 minutes

5. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Thanks! Any tips on how I can judge whether or not I am at the correct tightness? I haven't had enough experience with printers to know on my own. I want to say that the belts are the same tightness as they were when the printer arrived, but I guess it wouldn't be impossible that they loosened for some reason. I've never messed with them myself.

6. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

And if the shift is along the Y axis, would tightening the X belt solve the problem?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

if the shift is along the y then you need to tighten your y.

Basically a tight belt should have a "twang" when you pluck it. It needs to be tight enough so that it can't skip on the pulley, but not so tight it "Pulls" the pulley and bearing inward creating a moment on the driveshaft of the nema motor causing torque issues. You want it about as tight as you can get without inducing added torque on the motor. You can tell this by feel, if it's difficult to move by hand, it'll be hard for the motor to move as well.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, that would likely be the Y belt.
    There are a couple of other threads on this (one of them even mine).

The belts should be tighter than you might assume.

9. Patrick Elliott

It could also be your stepper missing a step due to drag on the slides, or trying to move to quickly, the Y axis is most prone to this due to the mass of the bed. trying slowing down your infill speeds and accelerations.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good point. I had tweaked the accelerations to 900 (across the board).
    Forgot about that.

11. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

That reminds me, I have no idea what the acceleration settings do. Is there a one-size-fits-all optimal setting for the Robo?

12. Patrick Elliott

the acceleration setting sets how fast the axis will go from stopped to full speed or from one direction to the opposite. So when it's rapidly changing directions like during an infill, it doesn't jar as much.
    easiest way to grasp it is set them very low to say 200mm/s2, run a simple test print and watch what happens.
    I'm running my infill at 4000mm/s2, it's helped in my Y axis shifting problems.

2 people like this.
  13. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Barnacules Nergasm on youtube has a great video called Best Robo 3D Printer Fixes.....

There he describes a mod he did for stabilizers for the vertical rods. Helps when doing taller prints. Short cut for the stabilizer in thingyverse in the description under the video, link: about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

I stumbled across that video yesterday, Peter, and I'll definitely be printing those stabilizers (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126873) at some point.

There's been an interesting development in my quest to upgrade the Y-axis rails that could fix my problems once and for all.

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Generally speeaking if you pluck either of the belts like a guitar string and all you here is a thud you are probably too loose they both should have a little twang to it. You also have to take care not to overtighten as well so just make it a slight twang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.