1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Questions on RoBo R1 software and updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by Robert Choban, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I purchase a Robo 3D printer about 2 months ago. I have some questions about the how the software is being used and how to get new versions of software.
    1. I am currently using MatterContol version 1.1.6, I understand how to upgrade this. Is this where the configuration.h file is, does this file sit on the PC and if I change this file does it have to copied of flashed to the Arduino card.
    2. In MatterContol I am using Matterslice software for my slicer. How do I know what version this is and how to I upgrade this software to a newer version. Can I back up the current version of this software.
    3. In MatterControl it says I’m using Marline Firmware version RoBo3DR1AutoV1. It shows no upgrade available, so how do I get newer versions of this Firmware. I see that some people are a V5. Does this firmware have to be flashed or moved to the Arduino card. I have IDE on my computer and have used it for updating software on other Arduino cards, is this what is needed for updating this software or is MatterContol suppose to do it.
    4. I was reading a thread “Z offset for different slicers” and got really confused. They were talking about using M565 G-code and G92 G-code. About one being better than the other. Ziggy says in RoBo 3_14_14 version of Marlin no M565, but in RoBo version Auto_level_6_10 M565 code has been added. What are these versions and where are they, how do they get them downloaded, and where to they reside, the PC or Arduino card ??? Is the Auto_level code a separate file, or is it part of the Marline.ino
    5. My RoBo printer is working really good right now, but I’m going to be adding the XXL controller in the next few days. Do I need to upgrade my Marline Firmware or change something in the code to made the XXL work.
    Seems like the more I read the more I get confused. I think I’m starting to understand some of

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) No Matter Control is a software. This sends commands to the printer which is interpreted by the firmware and turned into electrical signals and motion.

The firmware houses the configuration.h file

2) I believe matter slicer is updated with matter control. This is a better question for the matterhackets forum.

3) Different printers use different firmwares. If you have the latest version of the robo (with an enclosed bottom and the Z smooth rod reaches to the case lid) then v1 is correct.

If you have an older version with autolevelling you can use up to v4. If you have a beta unit then it's v5.

No, it doesn't make any sense.

MatterControls firmware updating is disabled for the time being. You're fine on your current firmware.

Arduino can also install whatever you want on it. MatterControl will tell you exactly what to install.

4) These are firmware revisions from older models. The firmware you're running is newer than all those and has all the changes up to and including 6_10.

The auto leveling is in the Marlin code, which is the base firmware the robo starts on.

5) No the XXL is already enabled in all versions of the robo 3d firmware

3. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mike thanks a lot for the above info. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can about this printer and this forum is really great. Me and another person are starting a special interest group (SIG) at an organization called Osher Life long learn (OLLI). OLLI is an organization that offers classes for mostly retired people, it is a national organization. I belong to the OLLI in Greenville, SC, which is located on the campus of Furman University. A group of 6 went together to buy the RoBo R1 printer. Our goal is to show people at OLLI and Furman what 3D printers can do. We found out that Furman does not have any 3D printers, YET. As the six of us get better at using the RoBo our other goal is for each of us to have there own printer and work with people on setting up 3D printers. There is a very large leaning curve to using this printer , this reminds me a lot of when the first PC's came out in the 70's. It also reminds me of how old I am. Again thanks for your help and for everyone else that supports this forum.