1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Quick question: When and how often do you need to plug in your Robo to your computer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KendrickTV, Jun 10, 2015.

1. KendrickTV

KendrickTV New Member

Do you only need it connected for installation or before every print. I haven't been able to find much about this. Also, how long is the USB cable?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure I don't mess anything up. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you use an LCD screen or something else to print from, then it never needs to be connected to the PC.
    Something has to drive the printer so if you don't use an LCD or print directly from the Sd card then you need to keep the computer* connected to print.

* the tablet they have with the newer ones might cover this as well-- no clue.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You could go a long time without plugging it in if you use the SD Card Slot. Without a means to get human understandable feedback, it is not the easiest way to print. You could add an LCD Smart Controller. There are various styles available, all with similar but not identical feature sets.

I am just working through this myself. I currently have my Robo plugged in to USB all the time, just not turned on. This allows me to update the firmware or make changes without powering the entire printer. Since I don't use the supplied SD Card Slot, while printing I must be connected via USB the entire time. I am adding a Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller today so I can be standalone while printing. After this I plan on adding a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi so I can put my Robo on my LAN.

In the Modifications section there are lots of ideas and helpful threads on adding accessories to your Robo, search there and see what can be done.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Tablets need to have USB Host Mode (OTG) capabilities or a use a OTG adapter cable to directly hook up to the Robo and control it. Then there is the matter of what software do you run on your tablet, I know, Mark, you can't be thinking of MatterControl :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think the one they offer does use the dreaded MatterControl.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I have an LCD controller, so never.

I do swap the SD card around to load new programs/clear out old ones though.

7. KendrickTV

KendrickTV New Member

Is installing and using cura a really good idea?

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Cura or Repetier host are the best ideas this side of Simplify3D.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. KendrickTV

KendrickTV New Member

How long is the USB cable? I may need to purchase an extender.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Monoprice.com, buy as long a USB cable as you need it will need to be a USB 2.0 Male A to Male B (old printer style) cable. They have them up to 50' in black and 15' in white. That is unless you have Amazon Prime, then try there first.

11. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You will need the USB for firmware updates / modifications as well. I have no idea if line loss is an issue on a significantly longer USB, but I've been running a 10' cord with no problems.