1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ Adhesion for PETG

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No hate from me :D Not perfect, but nothing else competes with my odd needs :D. I use Cura for my UM (sometimes) and my sigma (sometimes) :p that counts !

2. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Fascinating, I do one print and it comes out flawless, so stuck to the bed that it's a pain to get off, but I'm fine with that. Then the next one I try for the same Gcode file with a 1.1 extrusion multiplier, the print doesn't stick, has gaps between the passes and is unusable, yet the side view of the nozzle to the bed still looks perfect. So I'll probably fiddle with something higher and see how that does. The only variable I can think of is that the first print that worked was started after a failure and thus my bed was already at 80 and nozzle at 240, and I applied the glue stick with the bed at 80, so it probably melted a lot more glue off the stick and/or started printing faster giving less time for the glue to lose it's stickiness. The second failed print I put the glue stick on the bed with it totally cold. Finicky little puppy :)

I do wonder though, so far my experience with BuildTak on my R2 has been great. I'm thinking of giving up on my current path with PEI + glue stick on my R1+ and getting a sheet of BuildTak for my R1+, but has anyone successfully used that with PETG? It sounds like I need glue stick for PETG because it can adhere too well to the bed and needs a release layer, but Kevin at BuildTak told me "Be advised that we’ve found washing glue stick off BuildTak to be difficult, so try to apply as thin a layer as possible to make it easier on yourself later. " So I'm a bit wary...

Thanks again for all your help and otherwise I'll keep on the trial and error path...

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Multiple process are the intended way to handle fine details like that ☺