1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer R1+ Can't maintain temperature on Extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DavidHooie, Jul 14, 2017.

1. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

I've been battling this issue ever since I got the printer 2 months ago. I've yet to be able to print more than 2 things in a row before the printer "breaks" again. The extruder temperature "resets" during prints and throws a hardware error. To try and fix this, we have:

1. Replaced the Stepper Driver (twice)
    2. Replaced the Thermistor
    3. Replaced the entire RAMPS and Arduino Board
    4. Updated the Firmware
    5. Autotuned the PID

Still nothing. It seems to error out after the 2nd or 3rd layer of any print now. Is there any other piece of hardware that I can check/replace? Could it be a bad Extruder?

I'm using MatterControl, I've seen some suggestions to try Simply3D, or upgrade the Extruder, but I don't want to invest another $150 - $300 into a printer that isn't working and has yet to produce more than 5 good prints in 2 months since I bought it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

David

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is not likely software or firmware. It is electrical. Either a series of bad thermistors or bad connections or something else bad. So switching to a different slicer will not help nor will updating the firmware (although updating the firmware will not hurt either, but don't expect that to fix it)

The hardware error (Temperature Fell Too Much During Print) is always a thermistor problem, but it may not be a BAD thermistor. Just a bad/loose connection either in the wiring harness or on the RAMPS board.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi David,
    Are you using a stock set up on your machine ? (stock cooling fan and heater). Your temp fall is likely caused by a miss positioned or surprisingly strong fan if you've replaced all those parts already. Try turning the fan speed down to 75% and print a few prints to see if it persists or works better.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

I'll check the connections on the RAMPS board first since I just swapped that out, but this problem was going on before that. So maybe the harness as well? I'll see what I can discover when I get some time to dig into it.

5. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

Hey Geof,

Yes, all stock stuff right now. I assume there's a place in MatterControl to turn the fan speed down? Can you point me to the right place?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

7. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

May I ask what you use?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It depends on the printer (I have more than just the robo). On the robo I started with mattercontrol years go, then cura, then Simplify 3D.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you take some screen shots of your settings I may be able to pick out where you change the fan speeds and what not? What I didn't like about matter control was that it was glitchy and not a lot of control.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

I'm looking at Simplify 3D because I've heard great things and part of me wonders if some of my issues aren't just from the way MatterControl communicates with my printer. I have Cura downloaded, I may try it and see if I get the same hardware errors.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My opinion, from the symptoms you described.

Don't get me wrong, love S3D and pretty much the only slicer we use, but I doubt it will fix this :)

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd suggest Cura before buying a $150.00 license to Simplify. I dont regret buying simplify but over the last few years Cura and Slic3r have darn near cought up with S3D in functionality and control. Still a few things about S3D that I love and wouldn't trade, but in a year or two I can see S3D going out the way of older set ups.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Tempfall on a R1+ is pretty standard on the stock set up that fan is aimed terrible... I'd shut off the fan (to speed up diagnosis) and see if its the fan or hardware failure. :D not disagreeing with @mark tomlinson at all, just suggesting to check the easy thing first :D

15. DavidHooie

DavidHooie New Member

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion because I'm a noobie still and also because that software would run me $150 or so. I know my printer has the potential to work with MatterControl, it's printed 5 small things for me already at various points, so I'll look at the wiring for the thermistor and also the fan speed before anything else!

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That wiring can be a real pooper lol. There is a connector on the ramps board but also a connector on the hotend assembly check both to ensure they are both good. You can verify a good connection on the thermistor by preheating the hotend and phsyically move the wires around and see if you get the error