1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1 dual part 4 - upgrades

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by MakeJeff, Sep 11, 2020.

  1. MakeJeff

    MakeJeff New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2014
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    9
    After last years frustration and taking a step back, I decided to dig deep and get this thing printing right.
    upgrades:
    1. BTT SKR 1.4 turbo w/2130 SPI ~$65
    2. BTT TFT v3.0 7" screen ~$66 (yes, extravagant)
    3. Marlin 2.0.x bugfix using Visual Code and PlatformIO
    4. BL touch ~$35
    5. cura slicer - MC decided to disable extruder steppers on starting a print. (might be me?)

    My single biggest issue with the R1 has been the heavy carriage sitting on the Z stops design. It would hit the glass bed and deflect it before the Z stop would trip. When doing bed leveling the left or the right Z stop would trip depending on where the weight of the carriage was. I even made a new carriage and mounted the E stepper remote PTFE tubed in the filament = not much help. Even with all my tweaks the best I could get was a 0.5 Z offset in the slicer which worked okay, but still not great. The fix was: BLtouch I tweaked and measured and tweaked again and baked the offset into my firmware. no issues. I will now start a print and walk away.

    My second problem has been filament feeding. I have tried using the stock clip on spool holder and it ends up failing part way into prints. It likes to make it look like it's underextruding when it's just underfeeding. Fix: laying the filament on it's side on a free-wheeling turntable (like a lazy suzan). I printed 2 150mm tall tower sections yesterday without fail. (I am using those cheap red anodized aluminum extruders mounted remote. 84? steps per mm so very low torque)

    NOTE: even though my firmware and slicer knows I have dual extruders, I am currently only using one to print. (they don't care) I still need to do all the tweaks to get my 2into1 hotend to filament swap and purge and retract, etc. Also I live in humid florida, and I took my 6 year old spool of filament and "cooked" it in a food dehydrator for 6 hours and it printed fine.

    OBSERVATIONS: these 2130s are quiet, I am pretty much only fan noise now. (with the exception of X and Y homing bump - tweaks needed!) Also $150 was a lot to throw at a 6? year old printer but I learned a lot of lessons. I am very confident in Visual Code and PlatformIO with Marlin.

    STILL NEEDED: dual extrude firmware and software settings. carriage part fans need to be remounted (bltouch forced me to mount my hotend lower) dupont connectors swapped to JST so the plugs will hold solid on the SKR board. design and print TFT holder. quieter fans.
     
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

    mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    Messages:
    22,557
    Likes Received:
    7,226
    As do I ... it makes for interesting printing :)

    Now the printers all run in a dehumidified workshop (<40% RH all the time)
     
  3. MakeJeff

    MakeJeff New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2014
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    9
    Some pics of the robot and the print.
     

    Attached Files:

    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. MakeJeff

    MakeJeff New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2014
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    9
    Printed a benchy after I printed this tower which was 7 total 8 hour prints. Backwards.
     

    Attached Files:

    mark tomlinson likes this.

Share This Page