1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ Filament Jam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gltchmstr, Dec 27, 2015.

1. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

I was unloading some filament and the gear decided to grind through the filament instead of pull it out. I took off the hotend, and did what all the other posts suggest, which is to heat it up and pull out the filament. When I tried doing that, the filament broke off just above the hotend. I can't push it through the hotend, and I also can't remove the nozzle because I don't have the right size wrench/ratchet head. How can I fix this?

Sorry for the blurry picture

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Short of getting the correct sized wrench(es) or replacing the hotend I am without an answer.

gltchmstr likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You really are going to want to have the tools anyway since you are eventually going to need to do maintenance on the printer. You can probably get by with two small adjustable wrenches .. one to hold the heater block and the other to remove the nozzle with.

gltchmstr likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you look at this picture the part circled in yellow is what you DO NOT want to put any stress on (which is why you use two wrenches). That is the only part of the hotend that is really easy to damage.

HeatBreak.jpg

gltchmstr likes this.
  5. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

Alright, thanks. What size wrench would I need to unscrew the nozzle the correct way, not trying to use two small adjustable ones like you said above?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

gltchmstr likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The heater block is large enough I would just use an adjustable on it. I don't know what size the Hexagon heater block is.

gltchmstr likes this.
  8. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

I already tried a 7mm wrench but it was a little bit small. I think it may be 9mm (the only size that I don't have a wrench or ratchet for) but I'll look into it.

9. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

Scratch that. I found a wrench, and the nozzle is definitely 7mm. The wrench I was using before must have been mislabeled.

JustinRF and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thanks for confirming that. I don't have a Hex to test with, I know the threads are the same but was not certain on the actual wrench size.

gltchmstr likes this.
  11. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

I got the nozzle off and I discovered the filament is stuck in the heat sink. How should I go about getting it out?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One last tidbit -- when you put it back together heat the extruder and then go back and make sure the nozzle is still snug.
    If it is snug hot then it will stay that way.

gltchmstr likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good question. You can remove all of the wiring (heater core wires and the thermistor (be care with the thermistor as it is fragile).
    Then put the hotend in an oven and bake it. Say... 500F (260C) will probably get it to flow out or burn out. Alternatively use a torch. A small butane torch will do the trick. As always BE CAREFUL with the hot things :)

gltchmstr likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have used the torch method myself once on a nozzle (I used a propane torch). Worked OK.

gltchmstr likes this.
  15. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

If you bought at Bestbuy you have two weeks to return it for a new one. I returned my first after a week.

I am down now because while dealing with a clog one of the red wire came of the hot end. The nozzle notoriously clogs and you have force the filament through be careful. Some of these are brittle parts

gltchmstr likes this.
  16. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

I just tried the oven method and I think it worked. Should I put it back together after heating it up? I can't screw the nozzle back in even when I try it with the wrench (I can't turn the nozzle after about one turn).

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Put it together cold then heat it up and make sure the nozzle is still snug.
    This is because the two metals expand at different rates when heated and if you only tighten it cold it could work its way loose when heated a number of times.

You don't need a lot of force to seat it well.

18. gltchmstr

gltchmstr New Member

I don't know why, but I can't get it in any more than about three complete rotations

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is tight then it should be fine. It could be that the heat break is threaded too far down into the heater block. Just makes sure there is a physical gap between the heater block and the heat sink (in other words there is a gap which has the small tube -- the heat break -- bridging it). It should look like the yellow circled area in that photo I posted.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This picture hopefully helps with the idea. The hexagon does not have the PTFE tube, but other than that this is very similar:

unnamed.jpg