1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1 how to get this LCD to work ?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tonycstech, Jun 5, 2023.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have one of those LCDs from the same source en route.
    If nothing else we can at least nail down if it is an LCD issue or something else (firmware or the control board).
    I was all set to fire up an Arduino/RAMPS/Discount LCD and then was like "duh" this will work and proves nothing :)
    Let me see how that LCD behaves with the normal config/firmware.

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

FYI: I think the delivery for the board is tomorrow. I will update you./

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The board arrived today. I will open it up, test it and show you want I find.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, threw together a headless robo :)
    Arduino, RAMPS, and this new LCD

Loaded over the firmware (R1+ base version with REPRAP DISCOUNT SMART controller set in the configuration.h)

This is the result:
    LCD_TEST.jpg

Mind you -- nothing plugged into RAMPS in the way of sensors so the errors are expected, but the LCD is working fine.

Some notes:
    1. LCD Board was covered with some white crap in spot that looked like liquid resin spillage and while I did not use alcohol, I did wipe most of that off before powering it up.
    2. I used the Robo R1 Marlin version and just edited the CONFIGURATION.H to use the RepRapDiscount LCD. I can drop that onto a Google drive you can download it from if you want to just compare how the LCD is configured for Robo versus the board you have.
    3. Even without firmware loaded into the Arduino, with everything plugged in the backlight for the LCD was lit so it was pretty clear that it was trying to work.
    Let me know what you want to do.
    If you cover shipping I'll mail you the LCD since you can be certain it works. I'd personally take a close look at how your your controller board is configured and the firmware... Unless you really did get two bum LCDs and given the questionable condition of the one I got -- not shocking

P.S. my sons desk is messy -- too bad :)

#24 mark tomlinson, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is the crud that was on the board.

LCD_TEST1.jpg

and honestly, version different or not, I see nothing actually different worth noting between this LCD and another one (older -- deferent vendor) so I think that is a non-issue.

#25 mark tomlinson, Jun 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I guess i need your firmware, i am on beta version.
    Can i update firmware to latest and keep configuration file in tact ?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, yea? You would need to know which versions of Marlin your board supports. This was using the "latest" Robo R1+ build which is by no means anywhere near the latest Marlin build. It is version 1.0.x (not even 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 much less the 2.x). All I did was configure the LCD like I would for the Robo using R1+ base version with REPRAP DISCOUNT SMART controller set in the configuration.h. Really nothing different. You *should* be able to use the firmware for the board you have and configure the REPRAP DISCOUNT SMART controller, load it and have it work unless that controller is just not happy with that style of LCD --or-- you got crappy bad luck and multiple bad boards. Seeing the condition the one I got was in I would not be surprised. The one I got works, but it was not in pristine shape, I cleaned it with isopropyl because of the crud on the board.

I can ship you the one known to be working with the Robo version of Marlin If you want.

8. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

as i said, i have MKS Gen L 1.0 board and fimware version Marlin_6_10
    Not sure what i need to get that LCD to work.
    Maybe all i need is a firmware change somewhere.
    Where can i get the stock firmware you used to make your LCD work ?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

that firmware didnt work.
    As soon as i plug in LCD, it shuts down, even the old LCD that worked.
    Not only that, but when i flash my old firmware that i used all these years, i no longer able to use the printer.
    It says ROBO3DR1V3 on the screen . Temp reports 1000 degrees.
    Preheating PLA causes fan to go max speed.
    Entire printer got f'ed after original firmware :mad:

I think i accidently copy/paste your configuration.h into my own, saved it and flashed it.
    Now my customr config page is messed up and i dont even know remember what changes i made there LOL

#30 tonycstech, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So the screen is somewhat working...

sadly the board you have is not one I have experience with... I have used a variety of different boards -- that is not one of them.

I can probably help, but I don't have ready answer. You certainly need to have the correct motherboard setting in the configuration.h then the correct LCD and thermistor types, but if the board setting is wrong -- nothing will work and all those other bogus readings make sense. Start by getting the main board defined correctly and work from there

12. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I was able to revert changes and now printer is working.
    What fine can i upload here for you to look at in order to see why (already) 4 LCD dont work ?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

CONFIGURATION.H for starters.
    I'll do some digging on that board too and see if I can confirm it will work.

14. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

just to be clear, my MKS GEN l does work. LCD i had installed originally years ago does work too but i wanted to try another LCD because i think it will resolve the issue with navigating menu where rotating the knob jumps menus over or not selecting until rotated several times.
    Other than that, no reason to even bother with new LCD.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, your call. If you have a working one, I wouldn't bother. You may want to consider an OctoPi front-end (via a browser) than an LCD, but you know what best suits your workflow :)

16. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

So it turns out pinout was completely in reverse. I removed the socket from the board and connected wires the opposite direction and LCD worked without any changes needed in the fimrware.
    HOW EVER i have ONE MAJOR and one minor problem.
    Knob is in reverse and its randomly skips 1 menu item or two.
    So my hope that another LCD controller would fix the menu skipping issue was SHATTERED

What in the world is wrong with the firmware ? Is there a way to fix it ?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, I am glad you got it functional. However the problems you have left are almost certainly not firmware. If your have the firmware correct for the LCD (based you the version of the Robo you have of course) then it is fine. However the LCDs are quite cheaply made and are too frequently broken from the box -- even the one I played with recently (in the post above) was sub-par and came with crud shorting some of the traces. I would suggest you start by getting a new LCD or just forego the LCD entirely and use OctoPrint to control the printer and see all of the same information (and more) via a browser. Worth noting that a new LCD is cheaper thee days because the Raspberry Pi has gotten a lot more expensive. Also helps if you get the LCD from a reputable seller.

In summary if you are running firmware that supports the LCD -- it is not the firmware. If you are not running the correct firmware then start there. The FAQ thread describes how to edit the firmware for the LCD. If you need more details on that we can help, but be specific on what your problem is.

18. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Using original REPRAP lcd controller i paid over $70 10 years ago had the same issue from day one.
    And many users here reported same thing where turning knob will skip menus randomly.
    I was hoping another LCD controller would fix that but that didnt help. Exact same issue, therefore NOT hardware related but firmware.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck, hope you figure it out.
    Last time I put one of those on an R1 3 were dead out of the box including the last one I did pictures of up thread a few posts back.
    Hopefully you sort out the firmware (since the standard works for me with a working LCD I can't suggest what to check)