1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1+ not turning on anymore.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Parker, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parker

Parker New Member

I have had this printer for a few years, and the first few months I had it were great, then for some reason I stopped using it. Now when I try and connect the printer to mattercontrol, nothing happens. I have tried two different usb cables, and I uninstalled/reinstalled mattercontrol. When I look in device manager all that shows is COM1, and im running windows 10. Could something be wrong with the arduino?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, directly (a bad Arduino or RAMPS) or indirectly (bad USB cable) your problem is certainly tied to the Arduino/RAMPS electronics.

If you want to dig into it a little further you can try disconnecting the RAMPS card* from the Arduino and then see if the Arduino will connect to the PC (you do NOT need to turn on the A/C power to the printer to do that test, just plug the USB cable into the Arduino with the RAMPS card disconnected from the Arduino). If the Arduino will connect to the PC then your problem is with the RAMPS or the 12v power supply or one of the attached devices (stepper, switches, etc).

*this is not terribly involved, but does require tearing into the guts a little bit so if you do not feel comfortable with that I understand. However, if it IS a bad Arduinio you are going to need to do this to replace it.

Geof likes this.
  3. Parker

Parker New Member

Without disconnecting anything inside and when the power supply is unplugged, I get two flashes of green light on the board, and then a red led next to the sd card slot. What is the ramps bord? The board on "top" of the arduino? Also how would I tell if the arduino is connected to my pc? Would I look in "ports" in device manager?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes

Yes, that is the easiest way. You should hear the two-tone chime when you plug in the USB cable to the Arduino as well and the port should show up in the list.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Parker

Parker New Member

Upon removing the arduino mega board fron the ramps, when I plug it into the computer all I get is the red led "L" light on constantly, and the green "On" led constantly on. It is not showing in the com ports, so I just ordered a new one.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That certainly sounds like a bad mega. @Geof is right -- if this is an R1+ the RAMPS board needs a small bit of landing wires in new spots to convert to a generic RAMPS, but it is worth the effort* since the generic boards are really cheap :)

*and his thread documents it really well.

Geof likes this.
  9. Parker

Parker New Member

Ok, I did order from that link to amazon you provided mark, so when it comes in I will follow the tutorial, im pretty handy with electronics so it shouldnt be too hard.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you'll be good to go. lots of people that arnt so handy have done it succesfully. Shout if you need help

11. Parker

Parker New Member

This is totally off topic, and I should probably just post a new thread about this, but is it possible to print in ninjaflex on the r1+? I remember trying a few times, but it would never feed through the head. I just found my spool of ninjaflex at the bottom of my sealed container lol

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, there are many threads on how to get it working. Go slow and hot basically.

13. Parker

Parker New Member

Thanks

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Parker

Parker New Member

Last thing, if it is just the mega board that is bad, couldnt I just replace it and use the existing ramps board?

Geof likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, absoultely

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.