1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1+ PLA Fan Shroud

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BenMac, Sep 25, 2015.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hello everyone,
    I have been playing with my printer a bit, and am pretty sure that I need an improved setup for my PLA fans. I know there are some shrouds available, but I am not sure if they work with the plus, with the default extruder. I know I could print some of them to find out, but I figured that I would ask if anyone else has some info, or has already tried it.

Thank you for your time an patience, I hope that you have a great day. :)
    ~Ben

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Fan shrouds aren't worth it for 40x10mm fans

3. BenMac

BenMac Member

I may be using the wrong term, I am referring to the plastic pieces that funnel the air to the tip of the extruder. Basically, these fan ducts.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You used the correct term and my point still stands.

Axial fans don't work well with back pressure and those ducts usually hurt cooling more than they help

5. BenMac

BenMac Member

Even with PLA? Please forgive me for belaboring this question. I have just noticed that many people seem to have these set up for cooling PLA prints.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes. People do it because they think it's a good idea, but they generally have no proof it actually improves results over an unducted fan.

From my experience and analysis, having no ducting cools better than ducts because there's less air restriction and better cooling.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you go for a larger fan then the ducting might make sense (maybe, YMMV) but I agree with Mike that the stock fan size is pretty much a wash with a duct.

I have one Robo with the fan ducted and another not. No difference. I briefly ran the non-ducted one with no fan and, ouch! that was a fail.

8. BenMac

BenMac Member

Ok, thank you, that was very informative. :) I am also happy to hear it from two trusted sources.

About what size would you say would show some improvement? I am not married to the idea of reusing the default fans. I just want to improve the bridging, and as such, would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.