1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Raft and support material are fusing with parts.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ahmed Jaber, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Print-related things have been going surprisingly well lately, and I'm starting to try my luck with printing with rafts and support material. However, the raft and supports are fusing with my parts and they are impossible to remove without breaking anything. This is happening with 100% of my prints and none of the settings I've tweaked have given me better results. Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Support material works for me with Repetier (I have the density dialed down decently for the support) but with Cura--no joy. There don't seem to be any ways to tweak it* and it generates some 'studly' support material that is hard to break free.

*(there may be, but I have not found them)

3. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

In Cura, you can tweak it. Expert menu > Open expert settings, and it's the Distance X/Y and Distance Z for the support. Default settings for it (the ones listed in the mouseover) usually work okay for me but you can increase it a little on a test piece and see how it goes.

2 people like this.
  4. scotta

scotta Active Member

So autopsyturvy do you use cura or reprap by default.

5. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I think you mean Repetier, not Reprap? :)

I use Cura most of the time lately as it requires less fiddling and generally gives better surface quality, and will print things that Slic3r won't, without requiring I run it through Netfabb. It also, um, prints more melodiously, somehow? Cura usually sounds like weird electronic music, while printing with Repetier/Slic3r sounds, um... rather like a robot making vigorous love to an unbalanced washing machine. Not usually much of a concern but as my printer is in my living room right now, I'd rather listen to a Cura print all evening than a Slic3r one.

Slic3r has much more ability to change settings, though, and for complex parts needing support in odd places like I've been doing lately, it's really necessary, unless I want to put support -everywhere-, and that's wasteful and a pain to remove well.

Really a matter of learning the particular programs, figuring out their strengths/weaknesses, and using the right tool for the job depending on what you're printing.

6. scotta

scotta Active Member

you are right i meant Repetier
    I'm trying cura now. It seems to do rafts better. I've had Repetier build a nice raft over a couple of layers. Then drop down a layer and grind it all off into a nice ball.

7. Ahmed Jaber

Ahmed Jaber New Member

Sorry I am late with following up on this thread. It's been a busy holiday season for me :)

Slic3r lets you set how far you want your supports from your print as well, though it does not let you choose per axis. I tweaked the setting and it didn't help, but I'll try again with Cura (which is conveniently included with MatterControl).

Coincidentally, I just tested Cura for the first time a few hours ago. For the 5mm calibration step pyramid, it took about five times longer than Slic3r to make an identical print with identical settings. Most of the delay was because it insisted on pausing the print every single layer to allow the newly-laid PLA to cool. My fan is installed, but Cura refuses to use it. Worse yet, since my nozzle oozes plastic while idling at temperature and Cura paused the print so often, there was a huge amount of buildup that stuck to the part and actually claimed most of the top pyramid step. I'll test Cura on other models at some point, but my first impressions aren't too great.

In unrelated news, the first spool of filament I bought since getting my RoBo (1kg SainSmart white PLA) just went empty. Printing with black PLA now. I kind of miss white. It was prettier...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.