1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved *Read pg 8 if you use a Geckotek bed!* Changed power supply, now y axis waves

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rat_Patrol, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you can get a stock ramps... otherwise you need to use the thread @Geof did to swap to a generic RAMPS.

That may solve it anyway since the generic RAMPS uses a single stepper driver for both Z motors (and that is totally cool)

Geof likes this.
  2. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Is the RAMPS the most likely culprit at this point?

3. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

What is the normal temp, or max temp, that the steppers should be at with a non-contact thermometer?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

OK, messing with things...
    Its printing now (different model, but just as tall) and I noticed the little level that holds in the hot end isn't perfectly where it should be. I pause the print and push it back the rest of the way. Now the layer shifted on the X axis by about .5mm. I gave it a nudge and its back to printing where it should.

Could my X carriage be warping due to heat?

6. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Might want to verify that your fan(s) are happy.

7. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

I know the fan for the RAMPS is working, and moving a lot of air. I've NEVER been impressed with the fan for the hot end, and have gone through 4 in the last 18 months. I could never feel the air flow form that little thing on any fan I've had in there, but it does spin. I've always thought it should spin a lot faster though. I also know the fan for the PSUs are working normally. I don't use the parts cooling fan much, but it does work when I tell it to.

8. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

This last test model (different, tall model) finished, same results.

9. OutsourcedGuru

The guys here would probably want a photo of you holding a pointer at the part that's moving/movable/broken loose. I can't quite visualize this, tbh.

10. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Just finished switching to a new generic RAMPS board, kept the ROBO drivers.

It moves fine, some things were different on my OEM RAMPS board compared to the pics in the thread, but I managed through it. Everything seems to work right, warming up for a test print now.

11. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Sorry, lever not level. The quick change lever for the hot end wasn't sitting where it was supposed to be. I put it back and tightened it.

12. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Well, its printing right now, hasn't blown up yet :p.

Maybe its my desperation, but it sounds "smoother" to the ear. Have high hopes!!!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. OutsourcedGuru

Any chance that a couple hours' worth of vibration is loosening that bolt over time on the lever? (Is it still tight after each job?)

If it's like this photo, then the nut is trapped but if the bolt's coming loose a lock washer on the bolt side might hold it.

14. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Not sure how long its been slightly loose, but I re-tightened it a good 3/4 turn. May have been the culprit, don't know. I really like that custom made aluminum plate! Yes, my setup is like that one, less the awesome aluminum.

15. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

The frustration continues.

The X axis is working beautifully. The Z axis is also working beautifully. The Y axis produces the perfect waves. Its not erratic at all, almost like the model calls for them.

Guess my RAMPS was good...

Attached Files:

16. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Counting on you folks to help me though this one, I'm at my wits end with this machine!!!

17. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Ordered new stepper motor and belts. Any other thoughts in the mean time? Anything I may have missed?

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

raise the carriage all the way up (or enough to lift the bed) and slide the rails for the Y back and forth. Is the belt running up and down wildly? The bearings may have gave out that guide the belt. How tight is the Y belt? Are the set screws on the pulley tight? (Did you tune the Y stepper driver? You will need to for a new board if having issues)

19. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

Everything on the y-axis is tight and working properly as far as I can tell it moves freely belt is tight but not too tight bearings look to be fine. I have not tune the stepper driver as I am still using the original but I will be changing that out next and playing with the settings to see if I can fix the problem since I don't have a ceramic screwdriver I'm just going to have to use the metal one. I did change the stepper driver once when I was still using the original ramps board but it had the exact same effect so I put back the Oem one.

20. Rat_Patrol

Rat_Patrol Member

The belt does NOT ride up and down the stepper geared pulley when traveling.

I did a test print with the same model turned 90 and -90 degrees. Still the Y axis that is shifting. At least it is narrowed down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.