1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Refurbished r1 or new r1 + or something else

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by acbaldwi, Jan 25, 2016.

1. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

Hello all,
    looking into diving into a 3d printer, my brother has a robo 3d and highly recommends it so here I am asking you all a couple of questions

from time to time a refurbished r1 shows up on ebay ~500 , additionally the best price i can find on a r1+ is about 750, or lastly microcenter is an option as they are but a few miles down the road.

Is there any reason to spend the extra cash on the r1+ i see it has a newer lead screw but upgrading that myself is less than the cost of the r1+ at 750

The microcenter printer is nice but it seems you lose build area, not sure if the difference is that great.

Thanks for any insight

A

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The differences with the R1+ are essentially just the leadscrews (practically speaking).

If detailed precision is important then the leadscrews are worth doing, even if you do it yourself.

3. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

I figure i can do the upgrade later and save some cash if i get a refurb.... as i anxiously await for them to put more on :)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If they don't restock them as others have also pointed out, you can use any leadscrew/stepper combo you want you just need to fix the firmware Z steps to match.

During the last Out Of Stock for the Robo upgrade I priced alternatives, but even the cheap China ones were not significantly cheaper than the Robo kit.

5. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

I love my R1 +plus. You just missed a lot of really cool holiday deals
    BUT, do not cave and get a Da Vinci or a Makerbot. They are paperweights.

Go for an R1 +plus if you can. Avoid the Solidoodle Press, too. I like the auto bed leveling my R1 +plus has.

If you want to go used, make sure you get an r1 plus. It is not the newest but it is a good option, upgrade it down the road.

Let us know what you do. good luck :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

i have access to a makerbot replicator 2 at work... nobody uses it.... and a davinci no i dont need something with proprietary cartridges..... pretty much it's a robo for me... im waiting for them to call me back :)

8. acbaldwi

acbaldwi New Member

I bought a refurbished directly from robo.... if anyone else is looking in here just contact them and if they have some they will sell it to you and avoid ebay and it's hassles :)

in my case the has the plus and non plus versions...

Thanks Robo!!!!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.