1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Remote Access Printer Using Robo App

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KingaLing, Dec 23, 2016.

1. KingaLing

KingaLing New Member

I have a quick and maybe simple question, is there a way to access printer remotely through the robo3D app? I know it is Octoprint, and have forwarded port 5000 on my router and when I try and connect to the printer using my public IP and hit scan it doesn't find it, any idea on how to, or has anyone connected remotely through the robo app?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think you need to mess around with HAProxy on the rPi to get it to work. There is tons of info on the web on how to get OctoPrint visible to the outside world.

3. CDitty

CDitty Member

I just recently set my Octoprint up and I can hit it from the outside but it won't stay connected (among other issues). Isn't the HAProxy already supposed to be setup by default?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Did you use OctoPi or did you build your OctoPrint server yourself? If you used OctoPi that is probably a question for the OctoPi guy (no pun intended here)

https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi

5. CDitty

CDitty Member

Thanks. I built it from his rasp image. I'm still trying to get my head around all the various issues that I'm having so I won't flood the support areas with question after question.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@CDitty I built my own image as I did not like some of the choices that OctoPi made to change default directories. My image is smaller than his also. I am just missing the Robo theme that is here: https://github.com/Robo3D/OctoPrint-robotheme

Don't actually know what they plan to do with this, it is a fork of a fork of work started by the guys that make the Voxel8. Since all the new stuff they built into the C2/R2 is on top of OctoPrint, the source inherits the GPL license from OctoPrint. At some point they will need to release source and that should make setting up OctoPrint so much easier for use Robo users.

#6 WheresWaldo, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. CDitty

CDitty Member

Out of curiosity, what did you not like? If I stick with the OctoPrint, I'll prob build something from scratch too. Kind of a multi-use Pi system.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

He changed a bunch of default directories. I rarely change default installs unless absolutely necessary. I believe he started with Debian Jessie with Desktop and removed the desktop apps where I started from Jessie Lite (no x-windows or desktop). He also chose OctoPiPanel for the local LCD control, which I think is just ugly and wanted to go a different route. It is hard to undo all of what he did even if you can read his scripting and understand what he was doing.

I have an old Acer Aspire that has some god-awful slow Intel Atom in it, If I wanted my OctoPrint server to do more than serve one printer I might try to install Linux on that Intel garbage and use it instead of a rPi. The rPi is really only good at a single thing at a time, especially since the CPU has to control all I/O from the USB ports and the network port (the rPi has no dedicated chips for all input/output). It is really too slow for any kind of computational (slicing) or multi-tasking workloads.

#8 WheresWaldo, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  9. CDitty

CDitty Member

I won't make it do multiple intensive things at the same time. As of right now, I have like 3-4 just laying around waiting for me to finish my office so I'll have workspace.