1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Remote Printer Control

Discussion in 'Software' started by Harry, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey All, was wondering if any of you knew of a great remote 3D Printing Control software?

2. Matthias

Matthias Member

3. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

I've looked at Octoprint. I just feel it is a lot more complex. hahaa

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I'm planning on setting up a VNC so I can connect to my home PC from my phone or another computer so I can keep a eye on everything (will be setting up a webcam also).

5. Matthias

Matthias Member

Complex to use or complex to set up?
    Can't help you with the UI, but as far as setup goes. once you have a raspberry pi and an SD card in your hands, you'll be up and running in, I'd say, 2-3 hrs. including the setup of raspbian (debian distribution) + octoprint. No rocket science....
    + you can use the raspberry pi for many other things. I really love them, have 3 now, one as a file-, ldap-, web-, server, one as a xbmc media server and one to play with the hardware. It's really worth the buck.

2 people like this.
  6. da9l

da9l Member

I recently set up octoprint on one of my pis and I can confirm that it's really easy to do. At least with some basic Linux experience. As I haven't recieved my robo yet I can't say if it really works but as stated before, according to octoprint the hardware and firmware of the robo should be supported.

The octoprint r-pi installation guide also describes how to set up a web cam using mjpg-streamer. I couldn't get my old webcam to work using that tool but it worked very well with motion that is available using apt-get in raspbian.

I'm planning to use the octoprint to visually monitor both my robo3d and my filastruder. That would allow me to shut them down remotely if something goes wrong while I'm not there.

7. Matthias

Matthias Member

They just announced hat there is a whole raspbian distribution that has octoprint preinstalled. Found it on G+, link is here: http://guysoft.wordpress.com/octopi/

Should make setup even easier.

3 people like this.
  8. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

OOOO Maybe time to get one we'll have to see. Don't know if I want to get it right now as I have LogMeIn Free and that is working pretty good!