1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Replacement Bed Connector

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AK0490, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

I recently got my printer and had some issues with the bed heating up, so I took a closer look at the connector on the bottom of the bed. The pins were pushed back in the connector and and the crimps on the pins are of extremely low quality. It's obvious that some modifications were done to the bed before I got it, but I don't know what exactly. Where can I get a replacement connector and pins, or even a different connector that would be a suitable replacement?

WP_20140630_003.jpg WP_20140701_002.jpg

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Safest option is to hard wire in instead of using the clip connector.

When did you receive your printer?

3. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

I received the printer on June 4th. I might just wire it straight, but it seems like it would be quite nice to be able to remove the bed for easier cleanup.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did you receive the email sent out from Robo3d regarding the bed clip connectors?

They need to be cut out no matter what. If you want to order a replacement ensure that the clip moves very little and is tucked in underneath the printer, not near the heater.

The solution R3D is putting out will be to remove the connector for any printer shipped with that style due to issues it's having. A full explanation should be out soon.

5. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

Never got an email, but if they are removing that connector than that's all I need to know. I have no problem with doing it myself.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you start a conversation with me and send me the email you purchased under and your name to see what the cause of you not getting the email?

They sent it out to 113 different people and 87 of them have read it thus far

7. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

The question is how long till the new wire harness arrives :/

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The automotive industry has solved the problem of connecting low voltage, very high current wiring. Ask your local auto electrican. Spade connectors will probably be the recommendation.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Latest I heard is they won't be shipping any cables to affected users. Sit tight.

I believe it will be an RMA process for replacing the bed itself

10. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

There's the thing. I can fix the wiring easy enough, but if it's going to take a new bed to fix the problems I don't want to modify it if they won't take it back.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're welcome to fix it, but use your own judgement to know your skill level. They are not liable for any issues that occur due to your work, but if the part should fail for an unrelated reason later it would almost certainly still be covered.

12. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

Good enough for me. :D Thankfully the one thing I am good at is fixing wires. I'll be sure to post a pic once it's done.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd suggest Anderson Powerpole connectors. The smallest ones are a good size for that (and rated at 30a).
    It is what we use in the drive trains for all of the robots (not the 30 amp variety--except in the smaller ones).
    You can gang them together in a set of 4 easy enough.

Connect/disconnect well and will certainly handle the current. Only slightly larger than what they used.

14. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

I went ahead and wired it solid. If I ever think I have to have a removable bed I'll just put a connector in underneath.
    WP_20140702_009.jpg
    Unfortunately this didn't actually fix my problem. As soon as I turn the bed on the whole machine acts like it is short on power. The lights start blinking on and off randomly but the bed does heat up. If I start a print it may get a few layers down before the machine grinds to a halt and it stops the print. I was only heating to 60 and it seems to have problems as soon as it starts to heat up not just maintaining a high temperature. What could be causing this?

15. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

I did some more testing. With nothing running the system voltage is at 12.34V. As soon as I switch on the heated bed the power drops to 9.6V.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like it is drawing too much current or there is something awry with the heater.

17. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

That would have been my guess, so I did even more testing.

With the wires disconnected from the board the heater shows 1.2 ohms.
    WP_20140703_003.jpg
    With nothing running I'm showing 12.39V.
    WP_20140703_004.jpg
    With the bed on the voltage dropped and I'm showing 8.25 amps draw on the bed.
    WP_20140703_006.jpg
    According to this http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...ddition-to-prevent-heat-bed-cutting-out.1299/ thread where Jerry was talking about the bed it looks to me like it should be within spec.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8 amps is within spec. (11 is the max).

Even the 9.6v may be OK.

It could just be the load on that P/S leg (as the current ramps up the supply voltage will want to sag).
    The regulator is what will maintain this...short of a better supply I am not sure what to do.
    I do not think this is the RAMPS board (but I have not dug into the circuitry upstream of that) but it could be something with how that is built.

If someone else can verify what they see on the output with it loaded (using the new bed) that would help confirm it (my bed is still away for repairs).

19. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Yea I took a look at my molex connector and it was nasty burnt brown! So I've hardwired mine as well. And, like has been said, you can always just re-do it later or just pull the plug from the other end as needed. And that people is why you dont let the thing run while your not around :)

2 people like this.
  20. AK0490

AK0490 New Member

After filling out the support form and not even getting a response I took matters into my own hands and just ordered a new power supply from Amazon. The bed heated up perfectly and has been running rock solid for about a hour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.