1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Reprap XXL LCD became completely blank

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sorral, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sorral

Sorral New Member

Hi all,

First, I have to say that I got both the R1+ and the LCD screen shipped internationally without any issues due to the great packaging. I bought the XXL LCD off Printedsolid and it worked well out of the box without any modification to the firmware. But after over a week of using the LCD screen, it suddenly turned blank when I turned the printer on, so I have tried the following to get it to work:

- Unplugging the cables from the board as well as from the LCD itself and then replugging them back
    - Uploaded firmware through MatterControl with the hex file
    - Uploaded firmware from Arduino while also fixing the scrolling in the button
    - Connected the SD card reader instead of the LCD screen, turned the printer on and off, then reconnected the LCD screen

It is still blank and does not show any information; however, the emergency stop button works fine and I can get it to beep when I click on the scrolling button. Keep in mind that the ROBO prints from my PC just fine at the moment even with the screen still connected and blank. I have also searched the forums for a bit and didn't find an answer. What else can I possibly do? Is there something silly that I missed? D: Everything is factory stock at the moment.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is probably a failed LCD screen, but you can try the contrast adjustment to make sure that will not help.
    Reach out to Matt (@Printed Solid ) and see if he can assist.

Sorral and Geof like this.
  3. Sorral

Sorral New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I will try the contrast screw when the print finishes in about 50mins and will update/contact Matt then. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be a failed LCD. :(

4. Sorral

Sorral New Member

The contrast screw sort of fixed it and got it to turn on; however, it has a couple of screen defects now and not as readable as it used to be even though it looks good in the picture, all letters have boxes around them now from turning the contrast screw all the way counter clock-wise. Also, the contrast screw is so weak that it kinda stripped on the first turn.

Still! Great suggestion for something so silly that I missed to try, Mark. Thanks! I can still use it well like this.

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can try to adjust until the squares are gone

Sorral likes this.
  6. Sorral

Sorral New Member

Can't turn it much at all. When I do, the screen goes blank almost immediately sadly.

Edit: But yeah, glad I can use it now anyways without downtime/international shipping etc, thanks for the replies!

#6 Sorral, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ouch. Yes, international shipping does make things worse. It is a pity too because I am sure Matt would make it right.

Sorral and Geof like this.