1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Reuse ABS slurry

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Dr. D, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you had tried to reuse old ABS filament but instead of just grinding it up with say a hammer mil and then using a filament extruder. Has anyone tried to melt it down with acetone and then making filament out of the slurry? Or does Acetone alter the properties of ABS aside from just its physical structure?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

ABS fully solves in acetone so once you put it on the heated build platform all the acetone evaporates and you're left with relatively pure concentration of ABS, which can be reused. I use a flat blade razor for removing it. Comes off in nice peals from the glass.

3. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Interesting, so it might be possible to avoid the heat cycle drawbacks of reusing ABS by acetone dissolving it before turning it to filament.

Yeah I need to get a razor, my pocket knife isn't so effective. :p

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

oh I'm not saying that. I'm saying reusing it as slurry as fine.

I wouldn't reuse it in filament form because of material degredation and also a small percentage of acetone might not evaporate out, though unlikely.