1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ribbing on the Y axis?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kingbob, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbob

Kingbob Active Member

So i've noticed lately on some prints with large flat surfaces, that i'm getting some ribbing on the Y axis.
    I printed a small 50x50x50mm square box, and from side to side it seems mostly fine, vertically it seems to be fine, but plastic laid down along the front to back has some uneven ribbing. The wired thing is, the further to the rear the bed moves, the more pronounced the ribbing is.

What i mean is, the part of the print to the rear of the bed is less ribbed, than when the bed had moved to the rear. The ribbing becomes far more pronounced the longer the object is.

I compared it to something i printed a while ago, and there is nowhere near as much ribbing, so whatever it is, its getting worse.

I've checked belt tensions etc, but cant see anything particularly loose.

Suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is only on the one axis you know it is something in that drive train.
    Belt, pulley, motor (or associated electronics). That particular Axis can be a bear to troubleshoot if you have a Beta.
    If you have an R1 then it is easier since re-tensioning the belt is much easier.

Since it gets progressively worse as the Y axis extends I would check the drive at those extremes. Maybe the belt is starting to bind at that end?
    I had a pulley that was out of center (vertically) which made the belt run up and down as it moved back-and-forth. This caused it to bind at the ends (or near them). Put your eyes on the belt as it travels and run the bed back-and-forth to make sure that is not the case.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What speeds? Also pictures are really important for diagnosing this

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Classic maintenance issue on the Y axis is the idler pulleys and the stepper motor become loose over time. Reason is the black plastic base plate "cold flows" and the bolts/screws get loose.

Check the Y idler pulley bots and stepper fixing screws are tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.