1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Rippling on x-axis?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Reassembled my hexagon and everything is tight. Print speed is 50mm/s. Happens with ABS and PLA. The attached photo is rotated 90 degrees, so I feel confident that the odd ripple effect is on the x-axis.

Any idea? I know print speed can affect this, but I've printed at 50mm/s before with no issues.

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Terry, Im not certain im seeing your defect ? Can you circle it or explain a little more please?

3. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Hi Geof - thanks for the quick reply!

If you look above the hole, you can several "waves" in the shape of the circle. This can also occur in straight line across the x axis as well.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My first thought is something is slightly loose. Check the belts to verify they are tight. Oil the threaded rods while your at it (pm work is good). Take an allen and ensure the pulleya on the steppers are tight and we can go from there

5. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Ok, I will check that out. I oiled the threaded rods during re-assembly and the belts felt OK, but didn't think to check the pulleys. I will,let you know what I find! Thanks for your help.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your welcome keep me posted. The x belt should twang when you pluck it not thud :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. TomerO

TomerO Member

Also. If you have the R1+ with the z stabilizers make sure both z rods are in their slots.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Maybe try slowing down your acceleration settings?

9. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK, I checked the pulley and was able to tighten the set screws about an 1/8th of a turn. Checked the belt and it kind of twanged, but I seem to remember it being slightly tighter when I first received the printer. It makes sense that the belt can stretch over time, so I printed a cool belt tensioner that worked pretty well (maybe a tad TOO well, as I used it once then took it of for fear of messing something else up). I've been printing wire chain links, so I hadn't had a chance to check the rippling until I printed something larger last night and the problem appears to be resolved now, but I'm going to try one more part that might replicate the issue.

Geof and TomerO like this.