1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered ROBO 3D R1+ Cant Connect Over USB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Seth Johnson, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

Hello

So I've had this printer for over a year now and its been running great and I've never encountered any connection issues till today. I got a new computer and I went to plug in the printer and I'm not receiving any signal from the printer itself. I checked the device manager and I got nothing on the COM's. I also tried plugging it in to my old computer that I used to run it on and I got the same issue. No COM's on device manager. And just to be sure it wasn't a cable issue, I tried 3 different cables and all 3 cable worked with other devices. Am I looking at a bad arduino board?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either that or the Arduino USB drivers are not loaded.

Seth Johnson and Geof like this.
  3. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

I just tried installing new Arduino Drivers on my new computer but to no avail. I'm going to try the same on the old computer.

4. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

I'm thinking that I have a bad board. I tried installing new drivers on two computers and I don't even get a notification sound when I plug in the printer. I'm also getting no readings on any COM ports in the Device Manager on both computers.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its possible. If you remove the bottom cover of your printer you can see that board and your usb plug that you plugging into, any visual damage?

Seth Johnson likes this.
  6. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

I removed the cover and I dont see any visual damage although I didn't take off the top section of the board with all the headers and connections. Every looks and sounds like its running (lights and fans are running), I'm just getting no comms from the board.

I'm assuming the top section is the RAMPS shield. If that's the case, I can take that off to visually inspect the board below

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes all the connections are on the ramps. The arduino is under it. Id suspect the computer but arduino clones are cheap enough to swap and see if youd like

Seth Johnson likes this.
  8. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

Okay. I think I ruled out the computer since the printer isn't working on my old computer and it was running flawlessly on that for 6 months. I tried different cables, drivers, and computers and none of that helped. I think I might just end up swapping out the board. Nonetheless, thank you both for your speedy input.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck.

You can try dismounting the RAMPS from the Arduino and see if the arduino will then connect.
    Might just be the RAMPS, but I agree it is more likely the Arduino.

10. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

Sounds good. I'll see if that works. If not, I'll replace the board. If it's the latter where are the best places to buy from for a replacement? And what does replacing it all entail? Is it a simple swap out our do I need to flash the new board with anything?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Amazon has them for the best prices (unless you buy from China and wait a few weeks) and the best deal is the combo kits:

Something like these (not endorsing any specific one):

https://smile.amazon.com/kuman-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Starter/dp/B016D6DSBW

https://smile.amazon.com/Sintron-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B01K9X1FZG

They have everything. You can buy the boards individually for $10-15 (but then you don't have spares)

:)

If you do want individual boards search Amazon for "RAMPS 1.4" and then "Arduino Mega 2560"