1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Robo 3D r1 plus - Build area exaggerated?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eurisko, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Eurisko

Eurisko New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please be patient with me. I received my Robo printer yesterday, and did a few test prints. I noticed that the Y axis would shudder when doing the autoleveling routine, just at the extreme Y+ moves. I did a little investigating and figured out that the y axis was hitting a hard stop before reaching its stated travel limit. I also checked the X axis travel limit, and that too was much less than stated in the documentation. Haven't checked the Z travel yet.

X Axis stated travel: 254 mm
    X Axis actual travel: 220 mm
    Y Axis stated travel: 228 mm
    Y Axis actual travel: 214 mm

Neither of these can be improved significantly by adjusting the end stop switches. Is this a common problem? I did a quick search of the forums and found only one mention that the build area was smaller than stated.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Build size should be 228x254. Are you certain nothing is blocking the bed travel?

Edit: and welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine!

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as the x goes share a photo in the home position.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Geof I do not have 254 in any axis, the R1 I have measures approximately 220 in X, 236 in Y and 230 in Z.

Yes @Eurisko Robo overstates the build area, call it marketing license as they do a very less than accurate conversion from metric to US measurements.

Eurisko and Geof like this.
  5. Eurisko

Eurisko New Member

Thanks Geof. Here's a photo taken with my cell phone. Hard to see from the photo, but there's maybe 3mm clearance when zeroing the X. Doesn't account for the missing 34mm. The story gets even stranger. I couldn't use the printer as is (it was hitting a hard stop in the Y during auto leveling), so I decided to download the Arduino sketch files from Robo and modify the axis limits in the Arduino firmware.

These are the actual sections of code from Robo's configuration.h file , these were copied and pasted, not typed by me.
    This section sets the range of each axis: You'll notice something strange in the X and Y :

// Travel limits after homing
    #define X_MAX_POS 240
    #define X_MIN_POS 0
    #define Y_MAX_POS 254
    #define Y_MIN_POS 0
    #define Z_MAX_POS 240
    #define Z_MIN_POS 0

This section sets the rectangle dimensions during auto bed leveling :
    // set the rectangle in which to probe

#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 15
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 205
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 230
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 20

My printer was moving to Y +230 during leveling, I don't have 230 mm of travel. I modified the firmware to reflect my actual numbers, and the shuddering stopped.
    X_Home.jpg

Robo is playing fast and loose with these numbers. I still think it's a good printer, but they should be honest about the specs.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo just actually measured mine...i had better change some settings in my slicer lol.

TomerO likes this.