1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo Owners Anonymous

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Andreas Nicholas, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas Nicholas

Andreas Nicholas New Member

Robo 3d you make me sad. Basically you never worked, I know I hear you fixed your design and make a new r1, but I'm pretty much responsible for trying to be an early adopter... frankly where I once felt my responsibility was to get the ethically open sourced Robo working in order to advocate for them, I now am starting to consider warning anyone who might unwittingly purchase a project instead of a printer.

I almost got a print once but then it never worked again, I have the abs model it required heat. the nylon hotend didn't handle it well, suffered from melting inside. I have been through the robot loop and waited to receive a replacement hextruder from robo which never came. Finally I replaced the hotend with the e3dv6 after their forum suggested it, and fixed up the firmware, I am only using pla at this point because i don't have any abs. after the new hotend, still not extruding properly.

I heard it could be a computer issue so added the reprap discount lcd sd card reader to print off, still not extruding when printing.

After heating up I can sometimes get filament to come thru for less than an inch before it jams up, I heard the filament can jam by getting too hot before extruding so I increased the speed of the newly added fan above the heatbreak, then i read about oiling the bowden tube with a 6inch piece of pla,

I have heard I should use a long piece of tube above the filament extrusion gear to keep the filament straight so i will try that next.

In theory it should work, I don't pretend I know everything but at this point I don't know what is left to know that I am missing. Thank you Robo, you indirectly are responsible for teaching me to build another printer, how to program my own firmware properly, how to wire ramps boards, how to season bowden tubes and remind me to pray every night. I suppose in a lot of ways that makes up for being a complete and utter lemon...

In general the lack of experience and continued fail with the Robo has me lacking confidence in what exactly comes next. It's a scary place, the outer limits of the unknown. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do, what supposed to happen at this point... except the obvious, the dark lord is supposed to appear off the heat bed and offer me a working Robo printer, but at a price...

Attached Files:

#1 Andreas Nicholas, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. Invent Pal

Invent Pal New Member

You have described my situation. Did you ever get your extruder to work properly? After replacing the hotend with an E3D hotend I thought that I would be doing well. But nooo, the filament (PLA) coming out of the hotend began to curl upward and never flow in the downward direction to the hot-bed. Any suggestions on how to get my filament to extrude down to the hot-bed?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Run a cooler extruder temperature.
    The PLA curling back to the hotend is almost always because you are running it too hot.

It can be that and a combination of the initial Z height 'too high' as well. So adjust your starting Z offset.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also try different bed adhesives like blue painters tape and make sure you're not too high off the build surface

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.